VIN plates and Fender Tags

-

Jlcaptain24

Reaction score
Did all A bodies have VIN plates on the dash as well as Fender tags?? Or did some just have Fender tags along with door jam stickers?

VIN plates on the dash started in 68.

Before that the VIN plate was mounted on the front pillar of the driver's front door.

I believe all A-bodies from 66 - 76 had fender tags, however the coding changed through the years...

And IIRC on a Dart if it was a slant it started with 2 and a V8 - L - and of course the only V8 available was the 273

EDIT: The 65 fender tag would tell you what engine it came with under the AB column

VIN plates on the dash started in 68.

Before that the VIN plate was mounted on the front pillar of the driver's front door.

I believe all A-bodies from 66 - 76 had fender tags, however the coding changed through the years...

This is the info I needed! Thanks everybody for the replies!!!

So, long story short....I had to swap dashes on my 72 swinger. Original dash was corroded beyond repair. I picked up a 67 dash from a FABO member. Toss in a divorce, move, and job change along the way, due to a miscommunication, my ex tossed my old dash out while I was in the process of moving....along with the VIN tag on the dash.

So, not the travesty I thought it was originally. There's in process in TX where an official/officer can inspect the vehicle an along with the appropriate from, get a new VIN plate made. I believe it can even be the original VIN and not a made up number. I have the title in my name, bill of sale, and Fender tag.

Based on other posts, I've been searching for VIN number stamped in the body. I've found two locations. One on the right side of the drivers trunk lip. The second on the Passenger side fender area....underneath where the fender would reside. I was unable to locate any numbers around the radiator support (I've heard they may be there)

Here's where it gets sticky. The number on the fender matches the fender tag and title. The number on the trunk lip....DOESN'T. Check out the pics.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• WP_20160120_16_33_18_Pro 1.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 249
  • WP_20160126_13_41_50_Pro.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 236
  • WP_20160126_13_41_26_Pro.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 245
  • WP_20160126_13_41_32_Pro.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 239
So, long story short....I had to swap dashes on my 72 swinger. Original dash was corroded beyond repair. I picked up a 67 dash from a FABO member. Toss in a divorce, move, and job change along the way, due to a miscommunication, my ex tossed my old dash out while I was in the process of moving....along with the VIN tag on the dash.

So, not the travesty I thought it was originally. There's in process in TX where an official/officer can inspect the vehicle an along with the appropriate from, get a new VIN plate made. I believe it can even be the original VIN and not a made up number. I have the title in my name, bill of sale, and Fender tag.

Based on other posts, I've been searching for VIN number stamped in the body. I've found two locations. One on the right side of the drivers trunk lip. The second on the Passenger side fender area....underneath where the fender would reside. I was unable to locate any numbers around the radiator support (I've heard they may be there)

Here's where it gets sticky. The number on the fender matches the fender tag and title. The number on the trunk lip....DOESN'T. Check out the pics.

Any thoughts?

the number you have on the trunk lip is a part number for the 1/4 panel...

I also have a 72 swinger and its the same way. my car has a partial vin stamp under where the fender would be like yours as well as another stamping on the radiator support under where a decal would be.

the number you have on the trunk lip is a part number for the 1/4 panel...

I also have a 72 swinger and its the same way. my car has a partial vin stamp under where the fender would be like yours as well as another stamping on the radiator support under where a decal would be.

Whew. That's good to hear...I was kinda wondering WTH was going on. Can you be more specific on the radiator support? I've searched and can only come up with the number 206 (which don't match anything) at the top lip of the core support, right in the middle.

Or are you taking about the REMOVABLE piece I have in the pic there?? I would think that's where the sticker would go....but don't see any numbers.

Attachments

• WP_20160126_14_36_31_Pro.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 226
  • WP_20160126_14_36_47_Pro.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 224
  • WP_20160126_14_44_15_Pro.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 222
Update for TX members. I searched all over trying to figure out how to get a replacement VIN tag, frustrating phone calls to DMV, unanswered emails, and a couple panic attacks thinking I'm screwed. I cracked the code. Here it is:

I just needed a replacement VIN tag for the dart that titled in my name.

You need a Texas form VTR-68A. They you need to have a "qualified" person come inspect the car. It gives a list of who's qualified. Pretty much law enforcement. I called the Fort Worth PD and finally found the commercial auto theft division. They knew INSTANTLY what I wanted. Dude came by the next morning(today). Verified the VIN stamped on the car against my title and fender tag and signed my form. Now I have 30 days to drag it down to the regional DMV office. The make the VIN tag onsite...and stick it on the B pillar "for you". Legal and correct, original VIN. Whew. Or option 2: Don't lose your VIN. Next time. LOL

I bought a 69 notch that was partially stripped out. Dash frame was sold, however the prev owner removed the vin before selling the dash frame. I recieved the vin tag along with paperwork for the car including bill of sale. The sequence numbers matched in the 2 usual locations on the body. I have since procured another dash frame, and once its redone i will reinstall the vin tag. It however is in a safe location for the time being, as in a "gun safe" along with all my other vehicle titles, and important paperwork.

This stuff is damn near impossible to replace. Did Texas issue you an exact letter-number copy of your original Vin. Or was it their own made up letter-number combination??

Either way, glad it worked out.

I haven't trailered the car down to the office yet. Since all the numbers match and its titled in my name it will be a reissuance of the original VIN. There is a procedure\option for a new VIN for more convoluted cases.

Id see if they can affix it back on the dash instead of the A pillar

I tried. They wont. Im fine with. Its the correct vin through a lega legit process. Not like its a high dollar exotic. Id rather have it in the pillar at this point anyway. My dash is removable B pillar isnt

-
Back