Vinyl seat dye???

-

Dusterdude72

IN MOPAR MUSCLE MAGAZINE
Reaction score
Im currently trying to find a place that sells some kind of dye for vinyl.....I have tan/gold seats from my duster and I want black.....but I have not found any place that sells vinyl dye and I also don't want something that will wipe/chip/peel or fade away on it either....need a good long lasting effective vinyl dye....any ideas guys?

ive heard of sem products? but there website was tough to navigate so I still don't know much about them or where to buy it

I used SEM on some of my white items in my interior. I would not use it on my seats though. I dont think there is a dye made that can hold up to 'father time' in regards to seats. Just too much in and out, driving etc to keep it all on, JMO!!!

new car pics 046.JPG

I used SEM to dye white seats black. It held up for two years (20kish miles) until the stitching started to fail and I purchased new seat covers.

The only place it would wear off is the is the piping on the edge of the seat where I slide my but across every time I got in/out. A quick clean and respray once or month would take car of it.

You can get SEM products on line from Eastwoods or at any Autobody supply store.

NOTE: you need to clean, clean, clean and clean some more then use the SEM vinyl prep. Any cleaner with ammonia will work, I used 409.

I have had great luck with the vinyl and fabric dye from advanced auto part's duplicolor brand and also the sem product's can be bought at auto body supply stores and can be mixed any color you wan't.I use a scrub brush and purple power to scrub the seats and a quick rinse with the garden hose then dry em in the sun.the results are awesome!!!

Thanks guys for the opinions.....I will probably end up saving up the 3 or 4 hundred and get a new set of black covers because I really don't feel like doing the job more then once. I keep keys on my belt loop and have to have a car seat for the little one and I can almost garuntee it will not stay painted.....I was told to use SEM and I wanted some opinions on it and I am glad I got them,by the sounds of it....doesnt sound much different then the dupli color vinyl and fabric spray i have used on all the rest of the interior, I was jsut hoping there was an actual dye for vinyl out there, if you guys find anything, let me know.... Thanks again , DusterDude72

You might give Just Dashes a try. They have a system called Fade Away that if you send them a material sample they can match to your colors. Not inexpensive but beats new covers and other interior trim.
http://www.justdashes.com/Index.htm
1-800-247-3274

no ....all my interior was in great condition....but it was tan and I am painting the car plum crazy purple and didnt want it to look like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich so I decided to turn the interior black....I have finished all the interior already except for carpet and seats....carpet I am buying new but the seats I was curious about dyeing instead of covers.....I am doing all the metal interior parts purple to match the body and any plastic/vinyl/carpet goes black.....should look good all done,getting there......I will post progress pictures too but it will have to wait till I buy a new one.....my little one got ahold of our camera and used it as a hammer lol....but ill get another one soon and keep everyone updated!

I have tried the black Duplicolor when the SEM black was out of stock at my local part store. The SEM looks much more natural than the Duplicolor. The duplicor has too much gloss.

I have tried the black Duplicolor when the SEM black was out of stock at my local part store. The SEM looks much more natural than the Duplicolor. The duplicor has too much gloss.

I know what you mean.....but the way I spray it I get a nice even factory looking finish out of it....cant spray it like paint,you have to stand back and spray a good foot away from it until its completely covered and then stand way back and dust coat it...gives it a good factory texured low gloss look. swing on over to my ( 72 duster restoration progress ) thread...I have pictures of some panels I painted with it you cna check out

-
Back