Vinyl Top Install

-

oneway71

Reaction score
Hello
Here are a few pics of vinyl top install on my 72 Valiant.
1 Clean roof.
2 lay out top.
3 fold top back over on itself
4 spray glue
5 press vinyl back into place with roller
6 fold other half back over
7 spray glue on this side
8 roll into place
9 Trim vinyl and reinstall trim.

So easy anyone can do it!

DSCN0543 640 480.jpg

Vtop during 640 480.jpg

Vailant 640 480.jpg

Looks great. I want to do this soon. Just a question.

Did you install with the windows in, front and back?

Looks great. I want to do this soon. Just a question.

Did you install with the windows in, front and back?

Yes the windows were installed. I did have the trim removed though.
You just glue and trim the vinyl over size and fold so the edge is under the trim.

The Paddock..about $80
I beleive the Duster was the same top.
The local shop wanted $400 and had a 4 month wait to install it.
That would have been an easy $400 because it was very easy to do.

The Paddock..about $80
I beleive the Duster was the same top.
The local shop wanted $400 and had a 4 month wait to install it.
That would have been an easy $400 because it was very easy to do.

So same as for 2 door?
Was talking with Kee Auto tops and I thought the lady said the 4 door was same as 2 door!8)

So same as for 2 door?
Was talking with Kee Auto tops and I thought the lady said the 4 door was same as 2 door!8)
Yes I beleive they are the same. It wasn't listed in their catalog but when I called they checked and said they are the same. As you can see in the pic it was oversized and I had to remove alot of the material.

Thanks for the info. Now I just need to get the car painted and a new top. Thanks.

Nice job! I keep telling folks who are trepidatious that the install isn't that bad, just need patience.

Nice job! I keep telling folks who are trepidatious that the install isn't that bad, just need patience.

It is basically the same method you use to install vinyl decals; except the glue is already on the decals.

It is basically the same method you use to install vinyl decals; except the glue is already on the decals.
thanks for this- I need to do the roof on my Scamp in the next couple years probably....

...hey, if it's like vinyl decals, can I make a roof on my vinyl plotter?:-D

thanks for this- I need to do the roof on my Scamp in the next couple years probably....

...hey, if it's like vinyl decals, can I make a roof on my vinyl plotter?:-D

I have wrapped entire panels. I even considered wrapping next time instead of painting. But how would you get that nice texture or the soft "cushy" feel you get with the real vinyl? lol

Wow looks great:how long did it take by the looks of the pictures you started in the summer and finished in the winter. LOL

Wow looks great:how long did it take by the looks of the pictures you started in the summer and finished in the winter. LOL
I knew that would be commented on. I am usually too busy restoring cars for friends and don't get time to take alot of pics.
The project took me about 2 hours. But I always make sure everything is lined up correctly. Measure 8 times before I glue, alittle overkill.
This was my first one. My Grandma worked for Chrysler for 30 years doing upholstery. So I figured if she can do interiors I can do the top.

this makes me wonder about the canopy style vinyl tops for a gold duster...

Canopy style being just the rear section? The short ones?

The finish should be the same as with the rear of this one. Cut where the trim piece goes. I cut mine after I installed the trim. That way it was under the trim and not visible.

Thanks for posting this. This is a very helpful thread. I am considering replacing my top and this makes me feel as though I can do it myself. I know how to remove the roof trim on my Duster and the Windshield trim but I have never removed the drip rail trim. Is there any trick or special tools required to remove this trim?

The drip rail was tricky at first. I used a screw driver at the top front and started peeling it up. I have since heard that a can opener works well.

When putting it back on I found that a pair of channel locks help pinch it back together. It is a very tight fit. I also used a small rubber mallet to reinstall; although I did have a small dent on one side before I realized that channel locks will work better.

-
Back