Virgil Exner's XNR on Leno

-
1960-Plymouth-XNR-Concept-(Edde)_07.jpg

I always wondered what happened to this car. There is a somewhat famous pic of it being driven by a Saudi sheik in the middle east somewhere that was published in an issue of National Geographic in the '70's. That was where I saw the car for the first time and have been infatuated ever since. I guess it's back on American soil? The 170 Hyperpak is quite the little motor !!

I always wondered what happened to this car. There is a somewhat famous pic of it being driven by a Saudi sheik in the middle east somewhere that was published in an issue of National Geographic in the '70's. That was where I saw the car for the first time and have been infatuated ever since. I guess it's back on American soil? The 170 Hyperpak is quite the little motor !!
If what the owner said is true, wow, rev to 9k!

I noticed he has the tach shift needle set at 7800 RPM. Exactly where I shifted my hot little (non-hyperpak) 170. Missed a shift on occasion and saw the needle dance north of 8500 but it never broke. In an era of bigger is better and more is never enough, folks seem to have forgotten that little cube, high revving, motors can be a lot of fun also. I'll have to go check out the commentary on Leno's site.

I, also remember that National Geographic photo. Now , it sounds like it is stored at RM Restoration, which is about a half hour east of Detroit, in Ontario. I'd love to see it.

ok its a netflix show that built a replica of that.

car masters: Rust to Riches
season 2 episode 8

That was a Kuwaiti sheik and car dealer Al Mulla I believe. Was also owned by the Shah of Iran for a period of time.

Last edited:
I guess I'm a bit confused. Is Leno's piece about the original one or the copy some car show remade? If yellowdart69 is correct about it being the original one and stored at RM Restoration I want to go see it too!
@bcschief- Al Mulla sounds about right for that part of the world, though I'd have guessed Lotta Mulla!

The one on Leno is the original. It was restored by RM and the current owner keeps it there when not using.

Thanks for clarifying rustyfish. Am I allowed into Detroit during the pandemic??

-
Back