volare disc brakes on duster?

-
I'm not an expert on this but I've read enough about it to know it can be done. If your car has the small bolt pattern hubs you must use the Volare spindle. You also need the upper a-frame with the larger ball joint. I can't remember if the one off the Volare can be used but I 'think' it can.
Maybe someone who has actually performed the swap will chime in. I know one of the Mopar mags had an article about this a couple of years ago.
Dallas
missourimopar.com

Some say its a bad idea others say its fine. I have a set for my car. You need 73-76 A body lower balljoints and upper control arm assembly to use them.

AdamR said:
Some say its a bad idea others say its fine. I have a set for my car. You need 73-76 A body lower balljoints and upper control arm assembly to use them.
the 73-76 disc lower balljoints and upper control arms or will drum baljoints and upper control arms work?

I had a 73 Duster with Aspen (same difference) brakes on it. I just took the spindles and the brakes. I used the Duster upper and lower joints and it worked fine. As a matter of fact I did the alignment with a tape measure and it never vibrated or had any premature wear on the tires. I drove the crap out of that thing too! Actually I did use the Aspen lower ball joint just because I was too lazy to try to change them.

thanson_mopar said:
the 73-76 disc lower balljoints and upper control arms or will drum baljoints and upper control arms work?

Not sure if there is a difference between the disc and drum parts. Im pretty sure the ball joints are the same. Not sure on the control arms but I believe its disc only upper control arms that are needed ?

BJS racing said:
I had a 73 Duster with Aspen (same difference) brakes on it. I just took the spindles and the brakes. I used the Duster upper and lower joints and it worked fine. As a matter of fact I did the alignment with a tape measure and it never vibrated or had any premature wear on the tires. I drove the crap out of that thing too! Actually I did use the Aspen lower ball joint just because I was too lazy to try to change them.

did your duster have 10 inch drums before you put the aspen discs on?

BJS racing said:

so you used the aspen spindles? it didnt sit high or anything? how did your car handle?

I honestly don't remember what size the drums were. I just know that they sucked and wouldn't even hardly stop a piece of paper from blowing a way if they were sitting on it. I had lowered the car by adjusting the torsion bars but I do not believe that it sat that much higher with the Aspen spindles on in. I think it may have raised the front of the car an inch. But at the same time I had put the small block in the car and done alot of other things at the same time. But I was able to do an alignment with a tape measure and plumb bob and the car drove great. Never had a complaint other than I probably shouldn't have lowered it as much as I did. The headers didn't like me for it very much.

Shameless hijack here. Could you tell a little more about the plumb bob? Were the wheels on the car? Were they sitting on ramps or were they hanging in the breeze? I have heard of people aligning frontends like that, but never actually talked to someone who did it. Thanks.

-
Back