Volt Gauge Q?

-
The answer is "it depends."

What you really want is BATTERY voltage, actually at the battery.

But if you are willing to install it from a switched ignition source under the dash, and check it running/ charging with some accessories turned on, like headlights, and check it against a good digi meter at the battery, then you'll "know" how far off it might be

But if you really want accuracy, and want to eliminate the (what might be considerable) voltage drop through the bulkhead connector/ harness, then wire it through a good relay directly to the battery.

You do need it switched, because the meter will eventually discharge the battery.

If it were me, I'd probably perform the so called "bulkhead/ ammeter bypass" and first measure the drop from the battery to the blue "ignition run" supplying the ignition/ regulator. If, after the bypass is done, this looks OK, or maybe just a very few tenths of a volt, hook it to the blue "ign run" wire.

Once again, though, once you get this up and running, lights on, battery charged, fast idle/ low cruise, in other words "stable" check the battery voltage with a digi meter right at the battery, and see how it compares.

That was what I thought, hook it to a ignition run source. I am in the process of a complete wiring job using America Autowire Highway 15 and since it is a universal kit you have to refer to your wiring diagram. No amp gauge for me, replaced it with the volt gauge.

I am a little nervous about hooking it up for the test. I do not have the motor in so I am going to hook up power to the fuse panel and see what happens soon.

Crossing my fingers and praying to the mopar gods! If I do not see smoke I will go ahead and wrap up the wires for a finished look.

Rbob

One thing you can do to protect things for that "first hookup" is to rig a temporary fuse of say, 30A in series with one of the battery cables. Another thing, until you are sure that there are no large shorts, is to take a big heavy bulb and wire that in series. a stop/ tail lamp bulb works well. It pulls enough current that if there is some small current like a temp ga. drawing juice, it will light and give you "some idea" of the current going through, but if there is very little or no current, it won't light. If there is a dead short, the lamp will light, but nothing will be hurt.

-
Back