Volt meter in a rally dash

-

440+6scamp

Reaction score
I want to replace the ammeter w/ a volt meter in the stock location on a rally dash. Does anyone have pics of this? What volt meter did you use and did you have to make any modications to fit in the stock ammeter location?

A few months ago in Mopar Action they did a conversion in a B-Body. You may want to take a look at their site to see if they have it listed in the tech area. I think it was a SunPro 2" that they used.
Real Time Engineering also does them for around $150

I want to replace the ammeter w/ a volt meter in the stock location on a rally dash. Does anyone have pics of this? What volt meter did you use and did you have to make any modications to fit in the stock ammeter location?

Gauge service companies can convert that amp gauge to a volt gauge but..
the 2 are wired differently into the charging system so modification is required.

Redline converted mine in my cuda to a volt gauge but kept the stock face so it looks like its the original ammeter. They made it so dead center is 13 volts, so while driving it is just to the right of center and is charging (13.7-14.4) just like the stock ammeter. He pulled 12v ign power off the 12v input coming into the dash.

Someone once stated that if you were to place both original wires on the red post of the original gauge then use a relay to supply a ground to the black post the amp gauge would become a volt gauge.
I dont know if this true or not. It sounds good in theory.

I couldn't find the Mopar Action article. I've done this before in a '72 Scout. I removed the ammeter and did away w/ the wiring. I found a volt meter that was about the same size as the ammeter. I had to remove it from the housing it came in and trimmed the face to fit in the stock dash. I then wired it to the ignition as redfastback stated. So, I'm familar w/ the wiring... I'm just looking for suggestions on a guage to use to fit in the stock location. I'm also interested in any pics that you have. I can probably use the same type of gauge I used in the Scout but I wanted to see if anyone had any other recommendations. Thanks for the help guys.

Redline converted mine in my cuda to a volt gauge but kept the stock face so it looks like its the original ammeter. They made it so dead center is 13 volts, so while driving it is just to the right of center and is charging (13.7-14.4) just like the stock ammeter. He pulled 12v ign power off the 12v input coming into the dash.

So Steve, who is redline? I am interested in changing mine over to a voltmeter but its got to look stock.

-
Back