Voltage drop while turning

-

sylacauga1

Reaction score
I have a 72 Duster that the voltage is dropping to 10 volts while turning left. Has anyone seen this problem?

It’s happens when sitting still too. I have the coloum all apart because I thought it would have been something in the turn signal or horn harness touching while turning. But it still does it with it apart.

Are you sure your measurements are accurate? Where are you measuring? Have you tried measuring in different places?

Need some more info to narrow this down.

I’m reading off an aftermarket voltage gauge. I have the coloum all apart so I can see everything and when you turn the shaft slightly to the left the voltage drops from 12 to 10 or below almost like something is shorting to ground. I’ve moved all of the harnesses around an no difference.

What problem are you chasing? I understand you see voltage drops, but what bad thing is it causing? Where are you measuring the voltage?

Only turn right, lol.

Dropping 3v is bad [ post #6 ] no matter where you are measuring it. Should not happen.

Not sure of the grounding system Chrys uses, but if that model uses a rag joint to connect the steering shaft to the box, there is often a metal link to bridge the RJ [ because the RG is an insulator ] to ground the horn button switch. Link maybe be broken. Also make sure the s/box mounting bolts are tight.

-
Back