Voltage Limiter Replacement

-

Richard Deering

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm replacing the wiring behind the dash of my 65 Dart, and want to upgrade the gauge limiter while it's all apart. I have the external limiter and got directions to open the fuel gauge and disable the internal limiter but my gauge looks riveted closed and trying to get in there seems like a disaster waiting to happen. I came upon a post here from Redfish with instructions on how to do it without opening the gauge. It looks easy enough but it says to reroute the blue with white stripe wire to the original limiter and that's where I hit a snag. My shop manual shows the blue/white wire going to the oil light at ignition, and a black wire to the fuel gauge. Can anyone who has done this please confirm to me which wire should be rerouted? I'd hate to make a mistake and ruin something.
Thanks.

I'm not that familiar with the early rigs. If you Google, there is/ was a "how to" and I think it was the RTE site

Basically the fuel gauge has three terminals. Unlike 2 terminal fuel gauges, the tree are
1--switched 12V into the gauge for the limiter power
2...The usual sender connection
3...The output of the IVR coming OUT of the fuel gauge, which is jumpered (by board traces) to the power terminal of the other gauges.

I was just reading this today and I cannot find the thread now. "RedFox" or "Red......something" posted his way of updating limiter without tearing into the gauge. Ill keep looking. It was a thread on American Autowire install.....stay tuned.

Awww yeah! One of mine!!! Ha Ha, f'n grey balls ova hea!

Gauge voltage and Fuel relay with AA classic install post #12, although the leading up posts give a good all around 'how it works'. yer welcome.

@RedFish......Red Fox....pretty good....

Last edited:
i will remove this post as not to cause confusion . Thanks 65 Dartman .

Last edited:
I just want to say thanks for the replies/info/advice I got in response to this post. I ended up opening up the gauge and disabling the limiter inside. Installed the new limiter as shown, put it all back to together and everything seems to work. Although the temp gauge is reading lower than it used to. I'm pretty sure it was reading high before but I'm wondering now if it's reading too low. The pics here are after about 30 minutes driving around. I would expect it to at least reach the first line, which I understand to be the normal operating temp.
IMG_1157.jpg
IMG_1217.jpg

-
Back