Voltage regulator bad?

-

bigtommy

old school power
Reaction score
what would make my amp gauge go very high when i hit the gas? and at idol its in the middle. bad voltage regulator? when i unhook the blue wire from regulator the gauge reads alittle dead. i put a test light to the blue wire on the regulator when it was running and hit the gas and it got so bright it almost blew. help please!

Bad voltage regulator. Mine just did this last Tuesday! If its mechanical give it a sharp rap. It will likely work for a few days before you replace it.

Could be the VR, or could be a wiring issue. My car is doing something similar, but I found a 1.5v drop at the blue wire, so the VR thinks the system is only at 11 volts and ups the output of the alternator.

Lots of posts on diagnosing this. Do a search.

Could be the vr. I recommend changing it asap. They are cheacp and Mine went bad in my 74 duster surged the system and fried everything! Alternator, Coil, Distributor, battery relay, blinker relays, some light bulbs, etc Horrible fix

In this case I tend to agree. Change the regulator AFTER checking that the old one is grounded

Post back and we'll go through a few checks

-
Back