voltage regulator entertainment

-

XakEp

Reaction score
Well, now I'm getting 45 volts off my alternator and the regulator isnt doing diddly. Is it likely a bad voltage regulator or could it be something else?

Your alternator really will not kick out 45v. Highest i saw on my old powermaster alternator was 18v at full charge. It could be something internally wrong inside the alternator, bad ground, high resistance in the bulkhead connections or connections to the regulator, could also be a bad grounded regulator.

45v will be wicked high current and about melt every wire in that charging system circuit very fast. let alone your battery would grenade.

The Alt. should be kicking out power and the regulator limiting it.

if i am correct, the 2 spade later styles have the regulator that regulates voltage going into the alternator rather than the old 1 spade style regualtes voltage coming out. if it was putting out 45 volts you would also see a fire.

yes, the v/r varies the power to the brushes increasing/decreasing the magnetic field on the rotor windings to change current output.

I'm telling you guys, it was putting out 45 volts (used the multimeter myself) and popped every fuse in the car. It was a short in the wiring to the regulator that caused it, its been fixed. What a PITA.

45 volts and no fire?.................you are lucky. never seen that before. i have had the occassional 17-21 volts coming from a bad alt but not 45.

he must have a pretty serious multimeter to allow 45amps go through it if thats the case...my $150 snap on is just 10amp lol

-
Back