Voltage Regulator/Ignition Module Firewall Bolts

-

bwhitejr

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get some Voltage Regulator/Ignition Module Firewall Bolts? Or the size and threads per inch, so I can buy a substitute.
The ones on my truck and Ramcharger are too short to include a lug with a wire that goes to ground (just to make sure).

Also is there a recommended Voltage regulator and ignition module? I have been using Echlin TP51's for Ignition modules and the black muscle car VR's.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
bwhitejr

On my old Mopars, those are sheet-metal screws. 1983 might have changed to metric, at least my 1982 Aries was mostly metric. Good idea to run a dedicated ground wire to the VR case. Ditto for the ignition ECU.

I haven't heard of voltage regulators failing since they went electronic. Often people change them and then get charging, but the problem was actually in the screw ground or a loose/corroded terminal. The older (pre 1970) Vreg's w/ mechanical points were temperamental and needed regular maintenance.

Many posts and opinions on the best ignition ECU. Consensus is that many replacements today are cheap, semi-fake Chinese junk. Some have resorted to digging out the innards and installing a GM 4-pin HEI module, and can then bypass the ballast resistor. That is just to keep the factory look and wiring. If the Ramcharger, I thought they went to an "Electronic Spark Computer" like my 82 Aries, or the similar "Lean Burn" box. But the later failed a lot, which might be your angle.

-
Back