Voltage regulator location 1966 dart

-

Ryan148

Reaction score
Hi I have a 1966 Dodge dart And I'm trying to track down where the voltage regulator is. None of my accessories or lights work on the car. And the battery is not charging properly The alternator tester said it was a bad regulator And it's the original style alternator So not internally regulated But I'm hoping that bad regulator is the cause for instrument panel wipers and all lights not working but nevertheless I can't seem to find where the regulator is located any help is appreciated Thank you

2021_Generic_Sample_Diagram_f3e1dcab-b254-4bad-b9ae-017f487076ec_1200x1200.jpg

Yep, what he said.

Here a pic I found online. Hard to see but it in the general area.

Do a search on here for testing voltage regulators.
Engine-3-630x390~2.jpg

1678795922445.png
Yep, like Bogie said. To the right of the master cylinder.

Strange it's not in that location for me I'll make sure to take some pictures later today

Also take photos of your alternator.

Now on to your issue...

None of my accessories or lights work on the car. And the battery is not charging properly
Two separate but posible interconnected issues.

1. If the battery is fully charged or the car is running and no accessories or lights means you do not have a connection into the car from the battery or the alternator
  2. Define "not charging properly"
  3. Do the lights and accessories work when the car is running?
  4. Do the lights and accessories work when the car is NOT running?

IF there was a break in the line from the alternator to the car no charging.
But your accessories / lights should work assuming the battery is charged.

If there was a break in the line to the battery no charging and no lights or accessories when the engine is not running but you should have lights and accessories when the engine is running.

The diagram you posted is NOT for your car. It is a sample from their web site.

Download from mymopar.com ( if they have it) a FSM and A wiring diagram.

And buy your cars colored schematics from classiccarwiring.com

then start following the paths.

with a little more info we might be able to point you in the right direction

Did this just start happening, or are you trying to get a new acquisition running?
Now, don't take this the wrong way, but-
In the area where the regulator is supposed to be, are there bundles of wires hanging loose and not connected to anything? Or some obvious non- original splice work on the harness nearby that may indicate that the regulator has been removed?
I've seen stranger things.

When you find it, you can replace it with the electronic version instead of the taller solid state ones. The fusible wire in the ones when I was using the solid state ones would burn out within A hudred or so hours of operation.

If they moved yours it might be over by the ballast. Look a component with a blue and a green wire.

The taller Solidstate cover actually glues on pretty well over the electonic cover, so most wont even know you did it. Like this one.
20230314_132024.jpg

-
Back