Voltage Regulator Question / Pertronix

-

painsinner

Reaction score
Hi all! Got some questions about the voltage regulator. Two days ago I built in a PERTRONIX Ignitor 1 upgrade, bypassing the ballast resistor as described. Everything works well so far. I only noticed that my dashes amperemeter needle is not standing at one position anymore. It seems to bounce to the left and the right. Did I forget to change other things in relation to the Pertronix upgrade? I got a stock alternator. I read that it is usefull to change the voltage regulator? What are your opinions? Will this replacement be any good?
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/_/N-9ci9t?checkfit=true&counter=0&filterByKeyWord=vr706&fromString=search&isSearchByPartNumber=true&itemIdentifier=129965_0

or this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mopa...tZVintageQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I added a pic of my engine compartment. What is that small can element, connected to the regulator? I didnt find it in the US service manual. Any ideas?
100_3506.jpg

When you say bypassed do you mean that it is hooked to the 12vdc ignition switched side of the ballast, or did you hook it straight to the battery? I have the origianl pertronix 1 set up. I wired it to 12vdc ignition switch side of the ballast. has worked great for me for over a year. Never had any kind of alternator issues, that round piece looks like a capacitive filter of some sort? I don't have one on my 64 Barracuda, 273. Hope this helps some.

I don't recommend either of the voltage regulators you linked. "Duralast" is garbage, and I don't trust namenlosen generische nachbau components such as the eBay item.

Best voltage regulator you can get is NAPA Echlin VR-1001 or Standard/BlueStreak VR-128. The VR-1001 can be had overseas through this company.

See also here for advice on how to smooth out a jumpy ammeter needle. You may wind up separating the circuits that go to the ignition and to the voltage regulator's "IGN" terminal, by installing an ignition feed relay.

I hooked it to the 12vdc ignition switched side of the ballast.
Thanks Dan for your advice.
Anyone knows what kind of round can piece is connected to the regulator and its function? Thereon is written "EMKO 21727".

-
Back