Voltage regulator

-

Viper21700

Reaction score
onto more 66 barracuda questions.....Well at the Junkyard today I managed to snag some tasty morsels of mopar goodness. A good electronic distributor off of a 84 Dodge ram 360, some minor parts, plus the wiring harness for the transistorized two wire voltage regulator.
Currently Im running some off brand, no idea where it came from or who makes it generic voltage regulator. I was thinking about converting over to a mid 70's style two wire triangular plug regulator, to at least keep the underhood area mopar. Ive got the wiring harness, anyone have any advice or should I just run with what Ive got.
Mind you Im doing this for two reasons-
1- mopar parts are easy to find at auto stores
2- at least it would be Mopar parts and not some weird frankenstien monster of wires and crap.
Any suggestions?
PS- Im already running a two/three wire alt (one feed, plus the field wires)

In the 50 upgrades to make on your mopar book I've got it suggests when you switch to electronic dizzy you should go ahead and do the 2 wire regulator too so I say go for it, I'm installing mine this weekend.

I picked it up from the 76 aspen I got my dizzy wires from. I like how the new regulators look too. For me less wiring visible in the engine bay is a big plus and the newer regulators help with that

I'm running a wells electronic regulator I got from Rock auto [local parts store wanted 28$] I got two plus shipping for 28$ from rock auto.
Airtex/Wells 1V1067[VR706] Been running it since 2011 no issues and I got a spare!

Thanks guys. Im looking at my harness I snagged, and its got two leads to run to the Alt. and one lead that Im assuming runs to the ignition switch correct? Also on the lead running to the ignition it has a female blade terminal about halfway down it. Is this for something I need to hook up?
Im not too sure on the wiring, looks like red to the + field term and black to the - field term on the alt (they are paired and zip-tied together) and the longer heavier guage lead (red) goes where? Ignition?

-
Back