Voltage to coil

-
As stated, the 2 blue wires going to one side of the resistor are from the regulator "ign' post and the run portion of the starter switch, the brown is from the START circuit on the starter switch, full battery voltage. When the ballast resistor gets hot (and they do!) they increase in resistance (coil is designed to operate in the 8-10V range) so when the car gets going, the ballast resistor starts to heat up and reduce the output to the coil as its increased spark energy is not needed on a warmed up motor and that increases the life of the coil. You could theoretically jump the resistor but you risk burning out the coil (boiling the oil right out of it). we used to hot wire old Mopars with a wire from the battery + to the coil wire and a screwdriver bumping the starter relay. got us home one night after we misplaced/forgot/left 'em by the keg...in my younger years....

I am guessing based on your statement then I should probably try and hook back up that second dark blue wire again?

If the choke was set too rich, would that cause some gas to leak out of the carb or is there an issue with the new gasket they put on when it was rebuilt?

-
Back