Volts really high with acceleration.

-

Mr. Plater

Reaction score
Im having an issue with my volts going really high as I accelerate moderately on a 68 barracuda. the highest I have seen it go is 18V! When it is this hot i cant even touch the lights in the cab of the car because the bulbs are so hot. I went through 2 voltage regulators and had my alternator checked at autozone and they said that it is fine. it looks like the engine bay has been painted black before. Could this thin coat of paint on engine bay cause a grounding issue? Is this a situation where it simply has to be metal on metal? BTW I have a cheapy VR from autozone, it however is brand new.

Make sure the brushes aren't grounding out on the housing. Had brand new alternator missing the insulator washers under the bolts that hold brush housings in case

Run a ground wire from battery negative to your voltage regulator. Scuff up the regulator a bit before attaching the ground wire.

I had the same problem with my dart. Swore it was the alternator, we'll it wasn't. Turned out to be a poor terminal connection at the regulator 3 pin connector. I had somebody wiggle the connector as I was holding the rpm at 2k, sure enough as soon as he touched the connector the voltage changed. Wired in a new connector, no problems since. Just an idea for ya ....

I could point out a few spots where fresh paint must be scratched away to bare metal for completing the chassis ground path. Voltage regulator mounting is one of. I call this the devil in the details.
For the record... Incandescent bulbs, including the dome lamp bulb, will get blister your fingers hot at the proper voltage too. Good luck with it.

Last edited:
I had that problem once. The regulator had quit internally. But a no-ground at the case would do the same thing.
Mine was 18volts too

A good used replacement from the back shed, solved my problem

Last edited:
I had that problem once. The regulator had quit internally. But a no-ground at the case would do the same thing.
Mine was 18volts too
Actually a bad ground (not a poor ground) of the regulator (late style electronic) will result in a no charge condition.

Get both hands wet and put your left hand on the battery negative and your other hand on the voltage regulator case with the car running.
If you have a bad ground at the regulator it will get apparent real quick. :D

No don't, I'm just kidding but it would.

Check the voltage at the ballast blue wire and see how many volts it differs from the battery when doing the rev-test. A poor voltage sense supply will create an over-charge
because the regulator isn't seeing what the battery is, so it boosts the "on" time until IT sees the set-point voltage. Possible causes are any & all terminations between the
B+ supply thru the bulkhead,the column connector,the Ign. sw. itself, the splice in the blue regulated voltage wires etc.....

Which regulator are You using?

I have also heard that some of those el-cheapo Chinese regulators had the anodizing not only on the outside of the case but on the inside as well. Given that, no matter how good of a ground you make on the outside of the case the circuit board inside will not be grounded.

Also it could be a bad ignition. That blue wire on the center ( I terminal) of the regulator comes from the ignition. If you have dirty contacts the regulator will see less than battery voltage and will over charge. Also if the contact is dirty it can also cause the dreaded flickering light syndrome. I fixed mine with a relay that provided battery voltage from the starter relay directly to the center wire on the regulator. You can try this theory out by running a temporary wire from the battery or starter relay to the center i terminal of the regulator, if the voltage returns to normal then I would look at the ignition switch or install a relay.

And if you're still lost
The VR is constantly looking for battery voltage to fall into a very narrow window, and continuously asks the alternator to to put out power, to make that happen. The asking, is done by varying the field strength in the alternator.The VR does this by grounding the one brush. While the other brush is supposed to be seeing battery voltage. If the VR case is not grounded at all, then the VR cannot work at all. It might as well not be there.But if the case ground is a poor,the VR has to work harder to achieve enough ground time, to punch up the battery voltage; and the poorer the ground ,the harder that VR has to work. On the other side of the VR,as mentioned, it is looking for the battery voltage to fall into it's window. If for whatever reason, the input side of the VR is below that window,again the poor VR goes into overtime trying to get that voltage up, meanwhile it could be cooking the battery. If the input voltage to the VR is above the window, then the VR is supposed to open the ground circuit to the field coil, and that shuts the alternator off.
Now back up a bit, remember the alternator field coil is supposed to be seeing battery voltage at the one brush? Well if it doesn't see close to it, then the field strength may not be sufficient, no matter how hard the VR works, to pump electrons into the battery.
Also, all this sensing and grounding and pumping electrons is going on continuously.
If you have read this far, you have probably had the idea that you can just go out and manually ground that brush on the VR side and drive the alternator into overdrive,right? And you can. This is called full fielding. But the connection between the alternator and the battery, has to be in good shape, or you can set your car on fire! (This is where post #12 comes in) Also, all your measuring equipment should be previously set up, and turned on, because you only want to full field for as long as it takes to read the battery voltage, and to compare that to the charge voltage. If they are the same, well then the alternator is hibernating. But if the voltage difference is 6 or more, as in the alternator is putting out 18 volts, then stop the test. Switch your tester to A/C volts and try again. If the a/c voltage is also way above battery voltage, then the alternator is BAD, get rid of it, one or more of the diodes is ruptured and they are not easy to replace. Ideally there should not be any A/C component in the charge circuit at all.
At idle the alternator can or should be able to put out a lot more volts than what is in a fully charged battery. I don't think 15 to 18VDC is excessive during full-fielding. But removing the full fielding, voltage at the alternator should very nearly equal battery voltage. (see again posts 2 and 12)
So to recap, full fielding should send about 15 to 18VDC into the battery. In turn that 18 vdc or very near to it, should be seen almost everywhere on the car, especially in the ignition circuit and at the input brush on the alternator it self. Removing the full-field wire,the ground jumper, should collapse the voltage back to battery voltage.And there should be NO A/C component to the charge voltage. And the battery voltage should be very near to 13.2 before the test starts.
If you get these, then there is a very good chance that your entire charge circuit is good. If not, then the hunt begins.
Line 44,So that then leaves the VR as suspect. But you have to prove a couple of things first. 1) that the circuit between the VR and the field brush is continuous,and 2) that the case to battery ground is continuous, and 3) that the VR is seeing battery voltage or very near to it. If you got those, then throw out the VR.
Short-cut; you could just start at "line 44", maybe you'll get lucky.
But,be advised that post #12 is always on the table with our A-bodies, and should be inspected periodically, or just do the MADD bypass.

the alternator field coil is supposed to be seeing battery voltage at the one brush? ... you can just go out and manually ground that brush on the VR side and drive the alternator into overdrive,right? And you can. This is called full fielding.
Correct for the later electronic Vreg w/ an alternator w/ 2 field terminals (low-side switching), but not for the OP's 1968. The OP has a mechanical Vreg which uses high-side switching to control the field current, with the other terminal grounded to the case. Today, one can get an electronic Vreg which does the same high-side switching and can bolt in place of the original one.

OP, measure the voltage difference from Vreg case to its "IGN" terminal. If it holds ~14 VDC, then the Vreg is doing its job. Then measure the drop from Vreg case to BATT- and from BATT+ to IGN terminal. Both drops must be <0.1 V for the charging to work correctly. If you measure higher, search for the voltage drop. The case is simple, just run a dedicated ground wire as mentioned, instead of relying on a rusty sheet-metal screw like the factory did. IGN follows a tortuous path thru the firewall connectors twice and the key switch, and is a common cause of voltage loss and thus over-charging.

the system is full fielding & DO NOT drive it till you get it sorted out. it will fry bulbs/electrical devices & burn wiring. is this the early electromechanical reg setup? (reg has wire wound resistors on the bottom side). if so get a parts house replacement electronic one which most replacement ones are now electronic even if the problem is elsewhere. (trust me on that one). Does the alt have (1) male field terminal or a later one with one field terminal grounded. somehow the field circuit is being dead shorted to ground making the alt max charge which our alts only do at higher RPM's which is why the voltage goes sky high when the revs go up. if the alt/reg are OK then it has to be in the wiring/terminals. good visual and grab your meter.

Mr.Plater
Oh dear, I missed that it was a 68.I screwed up.
Bill and Robert and everybody else are right. Unless you have converted to an isolated field system from 1970 or later; which I highly recommend for nearly trouble-free motoring.This is an easy retrofit.
I stopped using that Electro-mechanical regulator,nearly 4 decades ago. When it sticks at night, it tends to fry stuff,starting with headlights,and as soon as those go it's lights out everywhere. And then the power has no place left to go but into the ignition system and battery. And the bulkhead connector is also an early victim.
And there you will sit on the side of the highway, on a dark night, with your arm in the wind, and your thumb pointed at the stars, hoping someone will have pity on you, and offer you a ride, or a phone,lol.Pray it doesn't happen in winter.......... Or maybe that stuff just happens to me, with a howling wind,and at an hour with no traffic.:(

Last edited:
-
Back