W-9 guys......help ?

-

tubtar

Reaction score
I am priming the oil system on my motor....48 degree w-9's with T&D 1.6 rockers.....Smith pushrods with .040 resttrictors and GS roller lifters with I believe the .210 offset intake push rod cups.
I am getting oil except to the intake rocker. Plenty at the lifter , the valley fills up easily. Oil at the exhaust retainers , so I am getting it everywhere it needs to be on that side.
But on the intakes , I am not even seeing evidence at the pushrod cup on the rocker arm.
The adjusters are within T&D's recommended distance.....not smack dab in the middle of perfect , but well within their tolerance.
I am thinking it has to be the lifters....the odds are that eight intakes would all be plugged is slim.
They are .040 shorter that the exhaust and I did not try to see if they would pass air before install....that's probably the first check.
Just wondering if any of you have seen anything like this.
Any ideas ?
Thanks.

i can't see 8 holes plugged intake only either.time to pull them and check them out.or just send me that wet dream of a small block and call it good !lol

have someone roll the motor over while you are priming the pump.Are all the lifters gettting oil from te galley?

I had a buddy helping me , so the motor was being rolled over as I primed.
Plenty of oil at the lifter.
I had a guy with a good bit of W head experience tell me that the offset lifters will take a lot longer to get oil upstairs.
He recommended running it for five minutes and check it again.
There is also a mod he does to the lifter body that machines a small slot from the oil band on the lifter to the oil pick up hole on the side of the intake lifters.
It gets oil from the clearance between the lifter and the bore , and this really helps that out.
And the pumping action that occurs when it is running helps to get the oil upstairs on them too.

I have a .210 offset lifter in my engine and it didnt take long to get oil to my rockers at all.
Crane / G.S. ultra pros ?
I am getting a few different opinions , but I am hoping to get somewhere near a consensus before I leap.
It is coming apart no matter , so I will double check passages and consider grinding an oil passage on the lifter body.
But I would really like to feel less confused about it. :D

Crane / G.S. ultra pros ?
I am getting a few different opinions , but I am hoping to get somewhere near a consensus before I leap.
It is coming apart no matter , so I will double check passages and consider grinding an oil passage on the lifter body.
But I would really like to feel less confused about it. :D

Comp Cams Endure-X

I would check to see how the oil hole in the lifter body is clocked relative to the galley passage and how the exhaust lifters are clocked. It may be possible that the bore is tight enough and not getting around the body of the lifter to the oil hole. Maybe the intake lifters were assembled 180* out.

I would check to see how the oil hole in the lifter body is clocked relative to the galley passage and how the exhaust lifters are clocked. It may be possible that the bore is tight enough and not getting around the body of the lifter to the oil hole. Maybe the intake lifters were assembled 180* out.
The holes are offset and pick up oil from the gap between the lifter body and the bore on the intake side........the exhaust , which isn't offset , is " normal "
I have had a few people tell me that this issue isn't uncommon. Ryan J says run the drill for 1/2 hr. or use Brad Penn assembly lube liberally on cups and tips and once you start it up , it will be oiling very quickly.
This pesky work thing has kept me away from the garage for the last week , but I hope to get back in there this week end so I can run the drill and scratch my head some more. lol

-
Back