W series heads

-

1970Duster

Reaction score
What are the w8 heads? How do they compare to the w2 heads? Any info would be great!

Come on guys, you gurus know the answers to this stuff!

Are they any good for a street car or race only? They have water jackets in them?

Thanks for the info, I'm not going to be screwing with this then, W2 only for me.

I thought w5 was a race only head and w2 was street/race.
Also w2 is iron only and w5 is alum only

as far as i know the W5 is like a W2 made in Aluminium. Same benefits, same Valvetrain necessary.

Michael

the w2 and w5 are similar on the exhaust side...the w5 have rectangle intake ports vs w2 ovals...

rocker gear are the same....headers bolt pattern same except the w5 ports are raised ...and usually can cause fittment problems..

Attachments

• 100_0966.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 548
Want easy swap, and no real fitment problems. So w2 heads are for me plus weight isn't something worried about

My 76 casting W2 heads had what were considered D sharped exhaust ports as most all early casting had. Although persons with a grinder could make them any shape. From what I understood in the past the W5 heads although aluminum had problems.

340W2014.jpg

All the early casting W2 heads were race heads even if they were sold as econo, as the econo had dual bolts for the exhaust ports for the specific reason of using headers or manifolds.

What I learned was many years ago, so things probably changed during the 90's

I sold my W2's in November

You can still get w2s new in box, so looks like that's the way I be going.

Later versions of w5 head are easily ID by blue plugs in the end of the heads...which do not have the problems of the early heads..which is what those are...

I have race w2 heads with dual exhaust bolt pattern...I have race w2 heads with the single wide exhaust bolt pattern..

Tony is not only lucky but educated as well as I know from experience after speaking with him..

w2 and w5 heads use the same
rockers
headers
w2 race heads were made with diferent
bolt pattern for headers it depend when they were made
previous w5 heads hade casting problem
the new w2 heads do not oil there rocker by there shaft
you need t&d rockers alote more expensive
I bought a set few years ago from a guy in the US
old style but were new and never install
hade them porte and complete with 2.08 valve and 1.60
they flow 298 cfm

dont fall are (iron heads) if they were in aluminium
I could put more cr. and still using the same gaz

w2 and w5 heads may have the same header bolt pattern..BUT

the w5 exhaust ports are raised...and therefore any tubes that fit tight on a w2 head will probably hit with w5 heads...

Talked to engine builder who put my motor together for me (no time to do it myself) and he said get my hands on W5 heads or some other really good aluminum heads. So seeing how I'm (more than likely) not going to find a decent pair of late casting W5 heads, what other really good company makes aluminum heads.
I'm hearing good and bad about Edelbrock heads so makes some better then Edelbrock?
Also are W5 heads (late casting) shaft mounted rocker arms?

You can still find W5's on ebay, racing junk etc., but if that doesn't work for you the large port Commando's sold by Mopar performance are really close. Yes they are shaft rockers.

-
Back