W.t.f.!!!!

-

srduster340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok, just finished hanging my exhaust, fired up the engine. Man, this thing sounds good with those Ultra Flows! The problem I'm having is, with the trans in gear, the car will roll like it's in neutral. I took the driveshaft out, installed a spare tranny yoke, took the slave cylinder off the clutch fork to ensure the clutch was not engaged, disconnected the shift rods and manually (no pun intended) shifted into gear. The output shaft still turns. WTF is going on? Help, before I put an automatic in this rig! BTW the tranny is a '75 Overdrive. The car is a '71 Duster, small block.

Make any noise? Wrong clutch spline? Wrong output spline?

Jack up the rear. Try different gears. Try to rotate the driveshaft by hand. You obviously should not be able to do so in gear.

If no joy there, drain it and pull the side cover.

This, of course, as you should all know by now, "Reminds Me Of A Story."

Years ago, the guy who would later be the original owner of my 70 440-6 RR owned a hot little 65 Chevelle with a 350 / Muncie out of a wrecked 67 Camaro. We were both going to school at Treasure Island, San Francisco.

He pulled a big 1-2 shift getting onto the bay bridge off the island and scattered the rear axle. We towed it back, a story in itself, bought a used "another" 10" axle, LOL, and got it all back together at the base auto hobby shop.

Started it up...........and it WOULD NOT MOVE!!!! Snapped the input shaft of that Muncie right in half!!!!

I spent more time, I swear, UNDER that car than I did IN it!!!. That is in part, why George later bought the RR

I attempted to pull the car out the garage but my clutch pedal was amiss. I jacked up the rear, removed the driveshaft, installed an extra trans yoke, put the trans in gear. The yoke still turns. I think it's toasted. Luckily I scored a '68 4 speed off craigslist on Tuesday. Looks good underneath the side cover, goes thru all the gears and locks in gear. I think I will clean it up,replace all gaskets, seals and drop it in! Here's pic. What do any of you guys think?

Attachments

• IMAG0722.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,013
What's that pic of?? the new or old trany??? Looks like it never had any kind of fluid in it??? DId u clean it out with carb cleaner or something-Steve

The pic is of the "new" trans I bought off craigslist. There was no fluid in it. I will definitely clean it out. The pressure plate, clutch, release bearing is all new.

Ok, I swapped in the "new" tranny. Still will not hold the car still while in gear. I think it's probably not likely for two transmissions to be doing the exact same thing. I'm thinking maybe the splines on the clutch are screwed up and not matching up with the input shaft on the tranny. Like an idiot I didn't put the clutch on the input shaft before I installed it. I guess I will be tearing it back down and possibly getting a new clutch, pressure plate. Should I go diaphram?

. I'm thinking maybe the splines on the clutch are screwed up and not matching up with the input shaft on the tranny.

Well, I believe I mentioned that. 18 spline disk, 23 spline trans...........................

Have you checked the OUTPUT / slip yoke spline?

........................ Wrong clutch spline? Wrong output spline?.............

For that matter have you checked the REAR AXLE? Broken axle? Does the driveshaft turn?

Well, I believe I mentioned that. 18 spline disk, 23 spline trans...........................

Have you checked the OUTPUT / slip yoke spline?

For that matter have you checked the REAR AXLE? Broken axle? Does the driveshaft turn?

Obviously not since he bought a whole nuther transmission.

Dropped the tranny today. It's the freaking clutch! I put in an extra input shaft and it just spins like a top. The inside spline diameter on the clutch is too large. I got the clutch kit as a scratch & dent sale so I guess that explains it all. Now, the question is, do I simply buy a clutch or get a new kit. The kit I have is a 10.5' Ram Borg and Beck 3 lever type. Should I go with a diaphram style if I buy a new clutch kit? Should I move up to a 11 inch? :burnout:

Depends on whether you think the B&B is good enough. A word.............you could have saved yourself a LOT of time, trouble, and money if you'd checked this out a little more throughly.

"As an olde guy," I didn't HAVE a huge team of old knowledgeable people to help me, nor did I have the www. I had to dig. Read the shop manuals. CHECK everything I did.

Yup. I bought the wrong disc one time. But it never even got installed. That's because I CHECKED it before hand, and realized I'd effed up. This was before I had the 440-6 car, this was the 383 RR so it had a 23 spline, and I'd bought an 18 spline. I got it out to the NAS, took one look and the disc and the gearbox, and said, "oops."

I checked Summit, Jegs, Speedway motors. Of course no one has it. Can't get it till late May or early June. I will try Barnett Performance tomorrow. I live 'bout 15 min. away.

A 10.5 x 23 spline Mopar disk is just about the all time most popular Mopar disk there ever was. I didn't check but you should be able to get one "almost anywhere"

My pressure plate is a Ram brand. I figured I should get a Ram clutch disc since they come in a "kit" and are matched together. So, I can mix and match?

No issues as long as the disk is dimensionally the same.

Ok, dropped everything but found "surface rust" on the flywheel and pressure plate! What the hell! I cleaned the pressure plate with a scouring pad and vinegar! The flywheel needs to be machined. It will all be done TODAY!

What do you think happens when you let the car sit for a while? I would have slapped that thing back together and RODE.

Ok, dropped everything but found "surface rust" on the flywheel and pressure plate! What the hell! I cleaned the pressure plate with a scouring pad and vinegar! The flywheel needs to be machined. It will all be done TODAY!

it will have surface rust after two days of not driving around here .

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCHIEFER-CLUTCH-DISC-CHRYSLER-10-4-1-x-23-SPLINE-NEW-/310737341629?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4859638cbd&vxp=mtr"]Schiefer Clutch Disc Chrysler 10 4 1 x 23 Spline New | eBay[/ame]

problem solved CHEAP

Damn! Why the hell didn't I see that? I was so pumped to get this thing on the road I went to Summit and spent "lots" more than that. I may still order it just to have an extra.

ya might check with wayne brewer ( brewers performance,) he specialized in 4 speed and rear end stuff. a lifelong mopar guy. maybe sometimes better sourse than summit etc???
me, I have to always check around, prices vs getting help from the right vendor.
bright su=ide is ya got a good spare tranny, learned sometime, and ya live down in Ga where I was raised and I know its a great place to be... grits, greens, boiled peanuts, gnats, chiggers, skeetters LOL

-
Back