??W2 Econo valves??

-

SSG_Karg

Enhanced member
Reaction score
I have a set of w2 econo heads but I don't know if they take the long valves or the regular length valves. How do you tell? The casting number is 3870810E and they have the rocker stands cast on the head. Also, if they are long valve, who makes valves in this size? I am assuming that the long valves are 5.29 exhaust/5.28 intake, right?

The head will take either valve. If you use a long valve then you will use a long spring. General spec of the long spring to use with the long valve is approx. 2 inch.
You can go either way.

How can that be? Wouldn't two different length valves require different rocker arms? If I run standard length valves, I assume I can run the standard offset rockers for the Econo head. But, if I use the long valves and taller springs, can I still use the same rockers? I guess I would run the standard length valves due to them being more commonly produced if they both work on my heads. I've seen other posts here saying things like "It depends on what size the rocker hold down bolt is". I just don't want to end up buying the wrong length valves.

long valves are need for econo heads that require long valves...standard valve length can be used with econo heads that use standard length valves...pretty simple...

the 5.29 and 5.28 sound about right for the long stem valves..

i got a set of each econo heads...long and standard valve lengths...might be able to measure the height of the pedestals...to help confirm which you have...

Ok guys. So rumblefish says there are one style econo w2 that can use either length valve, and aarcuda says there are TWO different versions of the econo w2 that require their own specific valve length. Who is right?? AARcuda- if you could, please check your heads and see what the difference is. I have a completely bare set of heads and don't know which valves it takes-you see my problem? I can't just take one out and measure it.

i got 6 sets of w2 heads.....read the article in the link above ...it states that there are two different econo heads...long and standard..and each take their respective length valve..

the long stem econo head uses the same length valve as the race head head which does not have any pedestals for the valve train and uses blocks or stands..

since i am waiting for the UPS truck again...let me see if i can get some measurements for you

So I read the Dulcich article and it basically said there are TWO DIFFERENT versions of the W2 Econo, a standard length valve version that was the original early casting, and another Long valve version that was cast later on. Now that we've pretty much established that there are two different versions, how do I tell which flavor I have? What are the differences? I think mine were cast in '77 judging by the "7" stamped on the end of each head.

Tony, that would be great if you could give me some insight and some measurements from your heads. Sounds like you have a W2 honeyhole over there!!!

ok..pictures are worth a thousand words as they say..

first couple of pictures you can see the difference between standard on the left...long on the right..

Attachments

• IMG_0791.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_0792.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 351
i use the flat spot where the long bolt goes through the head as a point of reference between the two pedestals...

the standard length measurement was approximately .550 in height to the top of pedestal.

the long stem valve measurement was approximately .811 in height to the top of the pedestal....just over a .250 difference...

Attachments

• IMG_0793.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_0794.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 362
and finally i noticed the older standard length valve head was 810 casting and the newer long stem valve casting is a 810E...dont know if that makes a ****....

Attachments

• IMG_0795.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_0796.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 311
and while i was going to get camera out of duster...i noticed that the ups guy had already stopped by....See ya later...

Ok guys. So rumblefish says there are one style econo w2

INCORRECT! Re-read what I wrote.

that can use either length valve,
This is possible but not desirable as noted by the pictures posted above with the taller shaft stands. There IS a way to work around it.

and aarcuda says there are TWO different versions of the econo w2 that require their own specific valve length. Who is right??

Correct but not the full answer. It is however good enough for the discussion at hand. Now before AAR gets wound up at me saying he is wrong, do not that there were many versions of the W2 which can be whittled down into 2 different basic sets.

So in a sense, I can agree with ease.

And while I'm sure I have AAR's attention, whatcha get from the UPS guy?

How can that be? Wouldn't two different length valves require different rocker arms?

Yes if you do not raise the height of the bar that the rocker arms ride on.
That should be the answer to the above mention on how to get around things.

If I run standard length valves, I assume I can run the standard offset rockers for the Econo head.

Yes There designed with use of standard 340 T/A rockers in mind.

But, if I use the long valves and taller springs, can I still use the same rockers?

I do believe so. This I do not know for sure, but *I think* the answer is yes.

I guess I would run the standard length valves due to them being more commonly produced if they both work on my heads

That is what I would do unless your cam is extra big on lift.

I've seen other posts here saying things like "It depends on what size the rocker hold down bolt is". I just don't want to end up buying the wrong length valves.

Your not running a giant cam lift are you?
If your not, stick with the standard length valve.

why go through a bunch of ****...went you just need the right length valve????

long valve version...get long valve..

standard length valve ..get standard valve length..pretty simple...

you talk about alot of this and that...but I dont see any recommendations?????

if he has the long stem valve econo head...how do put a standard length valve in it?.....the pedestals are .250 higher...use a .250 lash cap???

good god oh mighty........

Ok guys, everybody take a breath!! First off, let me thank both of you guys for your input. Rumblefish, I see what you mean about using either valve but it sounds like alot of machine work and hassle, but it could be done. AAR, I really appreciate your advice and the pics are a huge help. I see that my heads are cast with the 810E so I guess I have the long valve style. You have successfully answered my question about what exactly I have. Now, who the hell makes a valve for this application? My MP parts catalog lists some at 5.29" exhaust and 5.28" intake. Sound right?

Ok guys, everybody take a breath!! First off, let me thank both of you guys for your input. Rumblefish, I see what you mean about using either valve but it sounds like alot of machine work and hassle, but it could be done. AAR, I really appreciate your advice and the pics are a huge help. I see that my heads are cast with the 810E so I guess I have the long valve style. You have successfully answered my question about what exactly I have. Now, who the hell makes a valve for this application? My MP parts catalog lists some at 5.29" exhaust and 5.28" intake. Sound right?

Just because the casting number ends with E does not mean it's a long valve stem head.

Verify, don't guess. Why don't you measure the shaft pedestal height like Tony did and post what you have? Seems pointless not to do that, takes 2 seconds.

Ok guys, everybody take a breath!! First off, let me thank both of you guys for your input. Rumblefish, I see what you mean about using either valve but it sounds like a lot of machine work and hassle, but it could be done.

Exactly! How I was shown was sure made easy by the old timers. Talent and time they had.

And valve size rings a bell as correct.

70aarcuda sez; why go through a bunch of ****...went you just need the right length valve????

I agree, though the intention or direction was never stated. Can we make due with what we have? This could have been his thinking. I don't know.

I hate to type this, but it is true with me rather than assume. Ask a basic question, get a basic answer. Otherwise, I'm typing my fingers off for a person that needs not the info or reading material.

Call me a dick, i don't care. :-\" LOL!

SKREWS! Are there more manufactures/carriers of these valves today?

basic answer..use the valve that fits the head....pretty simple...

in fact use 11/32 stems valves...

Just because the casting number ends with E does not mean it's a long valve stem head.

Verify, don't guess. Why don't you measure the shaft pedestal height like Tony did and post what you have? Seems pointless not to do that, takes 2 seconds.

It would take two seconds if the heads were here at my house instead of 15 miles away at the machine shop.

-
Back