W2 Head Flow Numbers - Need Advice

-

clinteg

Reaction score
Does anyone have flow numbers for ported and unported W2's? I was wondering what the flow numbers should be across the range of lift for either ported or unported for comparison. Here's the reason I'm wondering. When I bought the car, I was told that the heads had been ported and the guy that bench flowed the heads showed 321 cfm. I don't know what lift or the bench that was used. The guy who has my motor now bench flowed the heads somewhere around 250 cfm @ .500 lift with a 25" vacuum on the bench. Even doing the conversion to 28" vacuum that is normally used, those numbers aren't even close to the numbers that were previously stated by the other guy. Why he didn't take it to .700" lift, I don't know. I think he thought the heads wouldn't flow any more over .500". I want the heads to make as much power as possible so what I'm wondering is, should I be concerned at all with maybe sending the heads to someone who is good with porting and take a look at them? Have them flow test on their unit? Or should I just not be concerned over these numbers that don't seem quite up to par with what I've seen on ported W2's? As long as it makes the power, who cares? What are your opinions?

If you're in doubt, maybe send them to one of the members on here...? I think there are about half a dozen folks on here who either routinely comment on this sort of thing that port heads, flow heads, or have ready access to such equipment...

IQ52
Ou812
MRL
Skrews
Hebrews10:26

those are just some of the ones I can think of off the cuff...unless of course, that's the issue...:banghead:

You need to know what they flow and when they flow it to get the most out of them. It is impossible to pick the correct camshaft without that information.

Yea, get ahold of ryan at shady dell, he's the guy that would know, also his website has flow charts

An unported W2 will flow 231-233 cfm on my bench SF-1020. I have ported them to a little over 300 cfm without much fanfare. I would bet that your heads are unported but have a decent valve job--of course that is just a guess. They are a great head that truly make power easily. J.Rob

Not to argue your findings on your bench.....

MoPar does rate them at 260cfm at .600, IIRC

The Shady dell site was for referance, I have not used him myself.

Not to argue your findings on your bench.....

MoPar does rate them at 260cfm at .600, IIRC

The Shady dell site was for referance, I have not used him myself.

No arguing here. I know what Mopar rates them at.Before I had my bench I took a W2 to a guy with a SF-600 and he said they would not move anywhere near 260--He was right they went 233cfm. My ported port right next to it went 281 cfm-after I got the S.S. right the same port went 298cfm. J.Rob

they flow 260 out of the box. use the right person 320 maybe a little more. With some new technology even more.
You Just have to find the right guy who likes to play with these heads. They work great.

Thankyou. I have seen a real serious set that moved 314cfm with 5/16" valves. J.Rob

Here's what he gave me. 173 [email protected] and [email protected]. That's at 25". He said that the heads are ported but it didn't look like much to him. He says he can still see the casting lines in the exhaust ports so that should be a tell tale sign right there. He feels that there's more that could be done, but he does not know the sweet spots to hit and doesn't want to make them into door stops either. So he recommended to send them somewhere to someone who knows the heads and the right way to port them. I just feel like I'm leaving something on the table if I leave the heads alone.

My goal is a 600 hp motor that can dip me into the 10's if possible. Or low 11's would be good too. I don't want to get all caught up in the numbers, but if there's gain to be had, I'd like to check into it. The flow numbers he's getting just don't seem up to par numbers for my goal.

doe s are mine
they have been ported by airflow tech
close to quebec city in canada
good guy and he love mopar

intake exhaust
before after before after
100 68 70 44 47

200 121 131 96 101

300 158 176 140 146

400 215 241 174 201

500 238 275 179 216

550 241 286 229

600 290 237

650 291 239
does number are with 2.08 int
and 1.60 exhaust

I know he left few cfm on the table but like I told him its
mostly a street car but I wanna go fast on the track

Man in really thinking the PO really got ripped off (which really I got ripped off too). Someone charged him who knows how much money (he told me quite a bit) and then half assed it or something and fluffed up his flow numbers.

With the conversion, mine are 258 cfm with the superflo numbers. So if 233 is out of the box, then they've had some work but it looks like there's room for improvement. I guess the big question is will it be worth getting the heads ported more to achieve my goal? I'm thinking probably but let's hear your thoughts.

Man in really thinking the PO really got ripped off (which really I got ripped off too). Someone charged him who knows how much money (he told me quite a bit) and then half assed it or something and fluffed up his flow numbers.

With the conversion, mine are 258 cfm with the superflo numbers. So if 233 is out of the box, then they've had some work but it looks like there's room for improvement. I guess the big question is will it be worth getting the heads ported more to achieve my goal? I'm thinking probably but let's hear your thoughts.

You don't need a guy that knows Mopar, you need a man who understands the dynamics of airflow as any good porter should.
Take a 2.5hr ride up to Hays and talk with Chad Speier. He will flow your head and give you excellent results. One of the smarter guys around when it comes to heads. Take your intake as well.
http://www.speierracingheads.com/
Otherwise, RAMM is certainly a good option.

You don't need a guy that knows Mopar, you need a man who understands the dynamics of airflow as any good porter should.
Take a 2.5hr ride up to Hays and talk with Chad Speier. He will flow your head and give you excellent results. One of the smarter guys around when it comes to heads. Take your intake as well.

X 2 Chad knows his chit.

Thanks for the heads up on that guy. That's cool he's within driving distance too! I'll give him a ring and see what he can do.

I had a guy bring me some econo w2 's that were template ported by someone , they didn't flow good, peaked near 270 and went turbulent after .500. I just touched the short turn a tad and left it rough, 298 @.600 after that.

Ended up dropping the heads off at Speier over the weekend. He seemed very knowledgeable and was glad to hear that you guys all across the counry knew of him. He felt that the heads flowed well but the port job just wasn't great. The bowl shape wasn't there in the ports, they tapered tighter the further down you went in the ports, none of them looked the same at all, the ovals weren't the same size, etc etc. There were all kinds of things that were wrong. The PO really got ripped off and now I'm paying for it too. But anyhow, they flowed 275 cfm @ .700 (without pipe). Not terrible but there's improvements to be made. So he threw some options out there and the cost of each option. I just told him that I'm looking to get 300 cfm through them or better. He asked what hp I was looking for and i said somewhere around 600 and he nodded and said I should be there. He's going to do them up right. I'm not going all out on porting since I don't have the deepest pockets but the heads will be much better than they were. A couple pics I snapped while I was there.

2089-1.jpg

2093-1.jpg

-
Back