W5 heads should I?

-

12swinger

Reaction score
I have a dart that I put a 340 in for some summer cruising, and it needs to go to the body shop for some paint work.
I currently have w2 heads on the 340, have very little experience with w anything, as I ran ported j heads last time car ran.
The question is I also have some w5 heads that are nearly ready, I did some port work, not much, mainly bowl work, removal of casting flash, maybe a little more here and there. The w2 heads have a little bowl work, chamber work, there done.
Are the w5 a significant power increase over the w2?
I actually had intended to put the w5 heads on a little bigger engine I have, close to done, 360 .070 over rare 70 date code block, perfect casting, BRC pistons, eagle rods, etc.
I should probably be patient and just run the w2 heads, and see how it runs.
But I do enjoy beating it at the drag strip, and have been wanting to get this car in the 10s on the motor.
First post, I stumbled on your forum checking out oiling improvements to the bottom end to make it survive at 7,000+ rpm.

unless you flow bench the heads ....you wont know which head is better.

unless you flow bench the heads ....you wont know which head is better.

I used to have access to a flow bench, not anymore. I moved 600 hundred miles from it. I'm not sure of anyone in my area with a bench.
The w2 is impressive looking, no radical work on enlarging the port, but beautiful work in bowl, and chamber. I bought them on eBay this way.
The w5 was a mopar nats new purchase, that I picked up the templates for, and tried to not go crazy, boy that aluminum cuts easy though.
Is it a good idea to run some more compression with aluminum heads?

Tony is dead nutz on be ause the real differance is in the head flow. The W5 can be ported out a little better than a W2 head, BUT, if you do not use the potential then there was a waste of time money & effort.

You can run approx. 1pt. more in compression.

Ok you guys are making more sense. I just remember some years ago I flowed some w2 heads that were similar to mine, and they flowed a few cfm more then my ported j heads. Not a significant gain.
Unfortunately the old j heads turned into water sprinklers, and there retired.
I didn't really want to purchase another cast iron head, but I sold some TA heads and ended up with one of the best deals on some w2 heads with intake, I just installed new exhaust valves, and a valve job, and there ready. Plus I had enough cash left over to purchase the w5 heads. 2 for 1

You WILL have a pretty good chunk of weight taken off the nose with W-5's.
You will also probably want to have them pressure tested to ensure the integrity of the castings. There were some porosity issues with the earlier castings as I understand it.
Some of the best info on MoPar heads for free is right here........
http://shadydellspeedshop.com/moparheads.htm

Lots of tips on what to expect and what to watch out for.

-
Back