W5 heads

-

tvt59

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
W5 heads are getting closer to being finished. Pictures show the difference in weight of the stock valves vs the ones that we are using. The stock locks vs ti vs the shorties we are using. Chamber volume. Pics of the ports. No flow numbers yet and we might not get any. The time slips will be the proff in the pudding. What started out as me just helping Brett Miller by giving him a head, that I wasn't going to use. Has really turned out to be a blessing. Brett dosen't normally work on stuff like this anymore. Ya'll know that he focuses mostly on the W8 and W9's. The engine these are going on may not fall out of a tree, but they sure look good. BTW Larry Smith did the port work on the heads and intake. God rest his soul. He really was a talented man !

received_962617742179373.jpeg

received_1110602266924012.jpeg

received_397100399603655.jpeg

received_1425446701691509.jpeg

received_732623255681350.jpeg

received_284770934514374.jpeg

received_1491715141751793.jpeg

received_951783486203923.jpeg

received_1142060496977910.jpeg

received_1518026365444028.jpeg

Last edited:
More. Really looking forward to getting it on the dyno to break it in. It'll be about this time next year before the Valiant is ready to install the engine. Going to be a long wait.....lol

received_865400742025250.jpeg

received_320648933938371.jpeg

received_729633792485758.jpeg

received_1146186940088574.jpeg

received_729633792485758.jpeg

received_3225457874264699.jpeg

received_2538357349679566.jpeg

Beautiful looking work! I'm assuming the new valves and locks are titanium? Pretty big weight differences.

The weight difference in those valves is more than i would have expected...

The weight difference in those valves is more than i would have expected...
The intakes are 2.125" exhaust are 1.560" 7mm stems. They are big NASCAR used valves turned down and re machined for this application. They are 5.30" length. The valves only had about 180 miles on them when they were removed from the previous engine.

2.125? jesus.. i didn't know that was possible in a small block head at all..

2.125? jesus.. i didn't know that was possible in a small block head at all..
We had to put a smaller exhaust valve in to make it fit. The exhaust is so good on those heads he felt we could get by with s smaller exhaust valve. I guess we'll see....lol

Looking forward to the final results!

Who’s valve train/rockers will be used?

W3?
Sweet curve all the way to .650 lift. Very nice.
Interesting pressure drop they flowed it at.
ACFM @ 3 H20

The W3 if I recall correctly was a big block head with W2 style ports. Experimental only from what I have read.

Looking forward to seeing the results of the W5’s. Great looking setup and attention to detail.

More. Really looking forward to getting it on the dyno to break it in. It'll be about this time next year before the Valiant is ready to install the engine. Going to be a long wait.....lol

View attachment 1716220469

View attachment 1716220470

View attachment 1716220471

View attachment 1716220472

View attachment 1716220473

View attachment 1716220475

View attachment 1716220476
Who installed the seat inserts? I assume Brett? What material did they use on the intake side?

The W3 if I recall correctly was a big block head with W2 style ports. Experimental only from what I have read.

Looking forward to seeing the results of the W5’s. Great looking setup and attention to detail.
This is what I remember. I think it was Weslake? that did some portion of that.

This is what I remember. I think it was Weslake? that did some portion of that.
"Mullen & Co.", lol, Bob Mullen. Flowing at 3"H2O is a low hurdle, not to mention at only one depression, & one direction. Mopar tagged SB heads "W", & B/RB stuff "Stage", the B/RB W2 'copy' flopped....I would love to see a modern testing & analysis on them if they still exist.
Edit: AFAIK those heads never recieved any designation, the ports were oval but low, & they were working with stk. 2.08" valves as a starting point.

Last edited:
Who installed the seat inserts? I assume Brett? What material did they use on the intake side?
Brett did install the seats. I'm not sure what material he used. But I asked him if it was Beryllium and he said no.

"Mullen & Co.", lol, Bob Mullen. Flowing at 3"H2O is a low hurdle, not to mention at only one depression, & one direction. Mopar tagged SB heads "W", & B/RB stuff "Stage", the B/RB W2 'copy' flopped....I would love to see a modern testing & analysis on them if they still exist.
Edit: AFAIK those heads never recieved any designation, the ports were oval but low, & they were working with stk. 2.08" valves as a starting point.
So Mullen cast the head too? (I said 'some portion') Also, back around 1992 I was paging thru some old pics at Koffel's and saw a big block head with unique ports and chamber which was designated with a "W" moniker...e.g.-Weslake. The engineering team at Mopar was one of, if not the first to develop flow bench testing and back then everyone was learning. Somewhere around 20 years ago some of the greatest head porters got away from using the flow bench.

So Mullen cast the head too? (I said 'some portion') Also, back around 1992 I was paging thru some old pics at Koffel's and saw a big block head with unique ports and chamber which was designated with a "W" moniker...e.g.-Weslake. The engineering team at Mopar was one of, if not the first to develop flow bench testing and back then everyone was learning. Somewhere around 20 years ago some of the greatest head porters got away from using the flow bench.
Interesting, the 5 pics I have of the aborted B"W2" version has no visible markings or callouts, & I'm sure Mullin didn't cast them. It's unclear & not specified who actually designed them, but the text stated they "never made it past the flowbench", which is why I'd like to see a real functioning set tested(not likely ever). I think with just the ports raised & the correct valve sizes they were probably a lot better than given credit at the time.

This was not B engine head. Just a small block prototype/iteration. I have small block W-2 1/2 flow charts too.

Just stuff Tom Hoover's group came up with for it's developmental contactors to create or enhance.

Sorry if this is taking this discussion off topic. I just wanted to point out there's been SB with even larger than 2.15" intakes.

Last edited:
This was not B engine head. Just a small block prototype/iteration. I have small black W-2 1/2 flow charts too.

Just stuff Tom Hoover's group came up with for it's developmental contactors to create or enhance.

Sorry if this is taking this discussion off topic. I just wanted to point out there's been SB with even larger than 2.15" intakes.
I think their are some versions of the W8 and W9 that use 2.19" intake valves. But 2.125" is pretty big for a head with the valves in the stock location.

I think their are some versions of the W8 and W9 that use 2.19" intake valves. But 2.125" is pretty big for a head with the valves in the stock location.

For sure.
That flow chart I posted doesn't mention if things were "moved around". Also, doesn't say if it worked in the real world.

-
Back