Waiting Patiently

-

PhillH

Reaction score
Well I am patiently waiting for work back on my 360 block as it's in the machine shop for a tank and inspection, not big news but Im excited and I had to tell someone since nobody else in my life is a carguy. They don't really get it, some of them I told about the project and they actually asked "why?".

Well, I live right above Spring Hill and there are car guys everywhere. Do you go to the local cruises? Thursday is Hardees at 19 and 50. What car are you working on? I'm restoring a 69 Dart Swinger 340.

I havent picked a ride yet, I dream of a pre 70 Barracuda, but likely an early 70s Scamp or Swinger. Ive wanted to do this for so long, it always got put on the back burner, no more. I had to take the first step and get this ball rolling, I knew if I had a hand built gorgeous motor sitting on a stand there was no way I could just let it sit. I'd have to drive it. So here I am taking those first steps. What time does the crowd gather? Id really like to show up Thursday.

I'm one of five kids. My extended family has a dozen cousins and nieces and nephews. My mom's family is huge. I'm the only one that's into cars...lol. So I feel your pain. All i can say is if they are not excited for you, that's ok. Be excited anyway...lol

I havent picked a ride yet, I dream of a pre 70 Barracuda, but likely an early 70s Scamp or Swinger. Ive wanted to do this for so long, it always got put on the back burner, no more. I had to take the first step and get this ball rolling, I knew if I had a hand built gorgeous motor sitting on a stand there was no way I could just let it sit. I'd have to drive it. So here I am taking those first steps. What time does the crowd gather? Id really like to show up Thursday.
Don't know if you were there last Thursday, but it was packed. I got there at 5:15 and it was crowded by then. On nice days it fills up early. There's another cruise in at Spring Hill drive and Anderson snow rd on Tuesdays. They all start around 4:30 to 5:00 but the old farts (I'm not there quite yet)leave around 7. Some say they can't see,I think they don't want to miss Jeopardy!

:happy1: I got the pop corn and waiting to,well we are listening what is the plan for this 360.

Fury thats cool, I live in Pristine Place at Spring Hill and Anderson Snow! I had no idea they were holding a show there, figures tommorow I have to pull a hell day out in Lakeland so no telling what time I'll get back. I'm gonna try to go tomorrow.
Update on the block, I need to call them and see whats up, Im a little worried now. This weekend I left the jewelry shop after paying for an engagement ring, on the way home trans went out on my Avalanche, so 2 big exspenses at once, perfect timing! This is seriously cutting into my Mopar budget. I guess I'll call the shop now and post whats new.

I remember waiting on my cleaned and line bore to be dun, Wow! That has been over 10 years ago :D
I know the feeling :cheers: well, maybe not :eek:ops: My 2 sons and a few other racers from here was waiting on me and asked all the time :eek:ops:

Attachments

• George Rays 9. 30. 2012 009.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 229
  • SNAKE!!!%2520072.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 230
PLAN- I was going for around 400/400 on this engine, I decided to go a little more reasonable as this is my first build, now Im thinking around 350hp and 400 torque. I havent decided yet what to put it in. One step at a time. I like pre-70 Barracudas, late 70s Dodge trucks (shortbed), early 70s Scamp and Dart, and also the early Grand Cherokees, so there is alot for me to choose from. Not nessecarily in that order. Im more concerned with alot of torque and quick spin-up than high RPMs. Not gonna race it but definately go through some tires (on a closed course of course, wink).

You use a roller block? Why not just stroke the motor? Cost to build it will be about the same.

No roller, I am using PRW 1.6 rollers on it though. Machine shop was supposed to call me back yesterday with some piston prices. I may be using SpeedPro hyperutechtic pistons, they can get them for around $350. I hope they have it ready by Friday.

Update. I picked up the block after the last post, I just had them do a check to see that all is ok and run it through a dishwasher clean, not tanked yet. No cracks, original bore, all is good, very sweet block, still has the original crosshatching in the cylinders. Only has 5 thousands wear at the most, NICE !!! I'm going 30 overbore on it just to make sure I have nice round bores, advice? I'm waiting to have anymore work done till I can afford the pistons and machine work on the block at the same time, I want to have the piston manufacturers specs on bore size and ring manufacturers hone roughness before anything is done. In the mean time Ive found that the motor has already been rebiult to some extent already, even though it only has 54k miles on it. I got it about (this makes me feel old) 20 yrs ago and it had 50k on it, it only has 54k on it now, and already rebiult? It has the rod caps stamped 1thru8, and the heads have about half of the valve guides sleeved. Luckily only one valve has any play so that should be the only one needing work, it has been sleeved already, is that going to cause me any problems?

I feel your pain. On the day I pick up a 73Scamp, my family said "What?" "is it running? How many miles per gallon? Do you realize it is $4.67 per gallon? Why this piece of junk? and so on...... It doesn't matter as long as you can enjoy your ride.....

73scamp

-
Back