Walker ball-style/flared collector coupling on Magnum manifold - flange problem?

-

cudak888

1-Baker-11
Reaction score
Here's the story:

I picked up a pair of these Walker universal ball-style collectors to mate with my 1992/93 style Magnum exhaust manifolds:

295txk3.jpg

(FYI, these are the 2.5" versions and won't work if you're trying to cross-reference part numbers. You need the 2.25" version, P/N #41725 for the large-flange Magnum manifolds.

They fit great, but I have a slight concern. Unlike the OEM units, the flanges are (obviously) flat. There's no chamfer on them that would allow the flange to seat around the flared end regardless of whether the pipe sits parallel with the manifold outlet or not.

Unsurprisingly, I can't fit these things without angling the pipe relative to the manifold. Regardless of what this looks like below, the manifold outlet is definitely not in line with the pipe in this picture:

125gnbp.jpg

This brings me to my main concern:
Can I rely on those flat flanges to seal the ball end, even if the pipes are not parallel to the manifold? Or should I get a pair of chamfered 2.25" flanges (like the one below) and replace the flat flanges?
flan-ss-evo8dp-top-dimensions.jpg

In my mind, it would seem as if the flat flanges wouldn't be able to spread the clamping force evenly against the ball end, and may result in an exhaust leak.

-Kurt

I sell these with the 360 manifolds I "machine" and sell to FABO members. This type of flange adapter is designed with a flare so that they mate up against the backside of the pipe flare forcing it to seal properly. They also have slotted holes so the bolts align easier. I don't know why anyone would sell you those flat adapters with the bell flared pipe stubs. The factory used bell flared adapter flanges (360 engine) just like the ones in my pic. I don't think the the flat adapter flanges allow the bell flare to seat and seal properly....but that's just me.

treblig

Attachments

• DSC05847.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 560
  • DSC05848.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 538
I sell these with the 360 manifolds I "machine" and sell to FABO members. This type of flange adapter is designed with a flare so that they mate up against the backside of the pipe flare forcing it to seal properly. They also have slotted holes so the bolts align easier. I don't know why anyone would sell you those flat adapters with the bell flared pipe stubs. The factory used bell flared adapter flanges (360 engine) just like the ones in my pic. I don't think the the flat adapter flanges allow the bell flare to seat and seal properly....but that's just me.

treblig

Hey there, Treblig:

First, thanks for responding - I must have read through more of your exhaust posts than I can remember when I was first prepping for the build. Thanks for your sharing your time and offering your modded manifolds to the community. You're the man!

Almost bought a pair of yours for this build, but since I'm running the stock '89 cam in this 360, the unmodified '92 manifolds may be overkill to begin with.

That said, your word is that of the exhaust gods, as far as I'm concerned. I won't dare use the flat flanges.

I did find that Walker/Dynomax (Tenneco) makes the proper flared flanges, just like the ones you sell with your manifolds, but they have them cross-referenced ONLY to applications, and don't list the pipe size along with the part number (which drives me up the WALL when Google searching them). What's more, they virtually deny the existence of both these ball/bell flare adapters and the flared flanges on their website.

By any chance, would you sell a pair separately? I'd be more than happy to give you a few bucks profit on me in doing so - it's the least I can do to share my thanks to you for helping us all out (and I'm sure you spent way too much time and money buying flanges right and left until you found them in the right size).

-Kurt

-
Back