Wall of shame auto work.

-

LeftyJD

Reaction score
I really hope this guy is joking. Over the years who's ran into awesomely terrible stuff like this? Lets see it, or hear about it at least.

amp wire zip tied to exhaust.jpg

Is his name Sparky ??? Or perhaps soon to be deceased ??

At least he could have done was put a few more wire ties to frame for extra support, for god sakes........

i love this joke

see, you put a tie wrap on the drive shaft and as it turns, the tail hits the bottom of the car...making the driver think there is something wrong with the transmission

now, this guy has taken it two steps further
he added the 12 volt wire for spark and on the other side of the driveshaft (you cant see, but its there) he ran the 3/8th fuel line
this way the rap-a-tap-tap of the ziptie will be accentuated by a flaming fire

The zip tied driveshaft is always fun to screw with buddies. The car fire version may be a bit overboard. Could be a good way to quit having to help a useless neighbor or in-law with their POS vehicle though.

I want to be there when they hit they drop it in gear and it sucks the gauges through the dash and firewall.

I have personally seen some bad ones and actually save pictures of what I call Hack Jobs done to our fellow Mopar owners cars by shops.

1. About 40 coat hangers wrapped around the lower control arm and frame on a Chevy truck because the pivots were busted off.
They were on their way to another town in the state and stopped at our shop for a trans fluid check before they left.

2. Lifted a Cadillac up one day and about 30 10 inch sections of 2x4 fell out of the suspension and the guy demanded I put it all back like it was.
I pushed it out in the parking lot and told him I would have it towed to impound if it wasn't gone by the end of the work day.

3. A transverse mounted engine and trans hanging by ONLY the two top motor mounts on each end (swung back and hit the firewall with a HUGE thud every time you gave it gas)Done by a shop.

There were plenty I saw and laughed, but these were the more serious ones.
Can't load the pics right now because I'm not on my computer.

I worked on this car after the guy got it couple a years ago..$65K car at BJ in 08..Not sure what he paid a couple a years ago.. Headers riding on the tie rod so bad, it wore out the Idler. Oil leaking at head and header on #8..also #8 miss.. Someone JAMMED a Tremec 5sp in it , without tunnel mods... See crossmember.. Clutch linkage geometry was so bad.. clutch wouldn't release properly..Etc.Etc. Etc. Poor guy likes Cars... But knows little about them... Notice No RUST..
IMG_0016.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

About ten years ago a buddy of mine felt the overwhelming need to completely rewire a little Chevy LUV truck with a blown SBC he'd just bought...right after he found some underdash wiring had been done by the previous owner with lamp cord wire.
Sorry, no pics of this hackjob.

Ok, here's some of the pics I have saved from here.

1. Washers used to space out a shallower drum (ended up locking up the wheel on his way home)

2. The drum that was spaced compared to the original.

3.A custom X pipe. WTF?

4. A custom spring location bracket. (yea, that's a piece of pipe welded to a 1 inch strap AND they cut the frame out so the car wouldn't sit too high)

drums1.jpg

drums.jpg

Hacked X pipe.jpg

hangar.jpg

Ok, here's some of the pics I have saved from here.

1. Washers used to space out a shallower drum (ended up locking up the wheel on his way home)

2. The drum that was spaced compared to the original.

3.A custom X pipe. WTF?

4. A custom spring location bracket. (yea, that's a piece of pipe welded to a 1 inch strap AND they cut the frame out so the car wouldn't sit too high)

View attachment 1714995867

View attachment 1714995868

View attachment 1714995869

View attachment 1714995870
# 4 is absolute genius!

Good eye! Probably metric zipties. I hate those things, gotta dig into my metric drawer for metric side cut pliers.

View attachment 1714995870[/QUOTE]
Only way to make #4 worse and more impressive would be if if was an old wrench welded on as the strapping and a big socket for the spring bolt eye. Now THAT would be professional level hackery.

Some of what I started with , behind all this zip tied to the dash frame was a boat style battery isolator.

duster wiring.jpg

Don't underestimate the strength of 1970's coat hangers.

The transmission mount crossmember on my 66 olds 98 with a 425 rusted out at the rubber isolator frame mount.

All I had was a coat hanger and after securing one end, I actually used it to pull the weight of the engine and trans up to where I could wrap it around a few times.

Drove it home and to school/shop the next day.

Ended up tapping the frame and using C channel sections to make a rigid repair.

Don't underestimate the strength of 1970's coat hangers.

The transmission mount crossmember on my 66 olds 98 with a 425 rusted out at the rubber isolator frame mount.

All I had was a coat hanger and after securing one end, I actually used it to pull the weight of the engine and trans up to where I could wrap it around a few times.

Drove it home and to school/shop the next day.

Ended up tapping the frame and using C channel sections to make a rigid repair.
Nice! lol

-
Back