Wanna rebuild a transmission

-

Joseph24251_200

The Mopar Kid
Reaction score
Ok I'm pretty handy I think. Ive built a few engines, changed a few cams, installed a few clutches, and etc..... But now i wanna learn how to rebuild a transmission. I have a 727 in the garage that was nearly free and i'm not sure if it is even operational so i would rather inspect and rebuild before i ever use this transmission any way. So does any one have any tips or info on how to rebuild a transmission. Or what tools do i need just let me know if i kill this transmission for good it's ok i'll just charge it to the bone yard of other dead engines and cracked transmissions. Oh yeah and can some one tell me if my pic is viewable beside all my post and what do ya think of my car. Gotta love the Dart!!!!!!

this is what i learened when i was tought to build transmissions.
take your time
be organized
keep things in order in which you took them out this way all you have to do is put them in the way they came out.

A slide hammer, some good snap ring pliers and the mopar transmission repair manual. Make sure you have lots of space to lay out the parts and mark somewhere where each different set of bolts goes. The slide hammer is for removing the front pump. Take your time. As far as transmissions go, 727's are probably one of the easiest out there to rebuild. I did them for 8 years in the chrysler dealership.

kenny b

When I was 19 I was getting ready to overhaul my first transmission. It was a 727 out of my 74 satillite. I asked the old man down the road in the local trans shop if he had any advise for me. I will never forget his answer..... He spit some chew in the floor and said "If you don't know what you are doing, leave it the hell alone". Well I knew I was on my own but we gear heads learn by taking the plunge into the unknown. Now 20 years later, I own an auto repair shop next door to the old mans trans shop. An inch pound torque wrench would be nice when you put the valve body on and front pump. Like dusterboy said, go slow and lay things in the order they go together. With digital cameras, it is easy to take pictures during disassembly for help during reassembly. The valve body has check balls in it that need to go back in the correct locations. Be careful when you split it open. Have fun, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!

A good manual such as an ATSG or factory service manual is the best way to learn how to do them. There's also an excellent book out by HP Books written by Carl Munroe called 727 Transmissions handbook (or something like that). It goes into depth of how they work. Identifying yrs. of trans. Rebuilding for street, or strip use. And some good mods. I bought mine off of Amazon.com but I've also seen it on E-bay.

all the above, but you will need some specialty tools or some engineering know how in order to remove your front clutch drum piston. the springs are under a lot of pressure and if you release that retainer, serious injury may happen. there is a special tool for this, if you do not have easy access to it, just take that piece to your local trans shop (with the two seals that go with it) and have him/her swap it out for you. Easiest and safest.

I recommend new sprag rollers and bearings on each overhaul, they are relatively inexpensive.

One last thing. Items wear inside a transmission. If your transmission, when reassembled, does not meet the required endplay tolerances .036 - .081", then you have some issues inside the transmission. Too much endplay may cause excessive bushing wear as well as put too much pressure on your belleville spring. A worn belleville spring will ride directly onto your front planetary gear and cause aluminum shavings to flow throughout your transmission.

There are a lot of little things that NEED to be desperately adhered to, even on a 727 that has a pretty simple design. Do not hesitate to ask questions, and get to know your local trans guy really well. He will have single replacement pieces for sale that you may need (if you lose something or ruin it) without having to purchase a overhaul kit.

Good luck.

Buy and watch the video sold by jegs or summit 3-5 times and read the shop manual 3-5 times then start the overhaul.During each learning section,make notes and what tools are being used and the cleaners and lubes being used to note them in a book to do it right.If you have two old doors that you can use as a dissassemble bench and work bench even better,and keep every part in order,so you can reinstall 1by1,mrmopartech

-
Back