Want clean plastic storage storage boxes to store and ship Mopar 8 3/4 chunks most say 9 inch ford. Jegs, summit, spreedway

-

340six

Reaction score
Summit shows 3 kinds of types but when you click say for 9 inch Ford Red ones are stand up. Black ones stand up other company, and a black one like a retangle cases for 3rd member's. Also Speedway shows them and a few others but same shows for 9 inch in. Will they work
Will not let me steel pics to show sorry

Last edited:
How about you copy and paste the link to one of the transport boxes you are talking about

This is a screen shot from summit.
Screenshot_20240107-233502.png

Notice how the Ford 9" fits snugly in the box.

8 3/4" are significantly longer so I don't think it would fit in that particular box

Last edited:
I use a 5 gallon bucket. I put a piece of plywood in the bottom and cut an x in the top for the pinion to stick thru. Then wrap tape around the x and yoke and around where the top snaps to the bucket. Also tape the bucket handle down.

There are also black ones like them. And rectangle ones but all say Ford 9 inch

You might be able to contact summit and have them measure the inside. The distance from the edge of the ring gear to the mounting flange is about the same.

From the flange to the centerline of the yoke is what the difference is

Contact summit. They have availability to a lot more stuff than even on their website.
I’ve called tech support and have had some really good results - they have even admitted they do not list all the MoPar parts they can access. Also contact companies that sell fully loaded (built)diffs. They have to ship them when they sell them.

As stated above a 5 gallon bucket works really well. I've even shipped 8-3/4 third members in a 5 gallon bucket.

FYI, they make 6 gallon buckets that worked well when I was transporting 8 3/4 third members. I screwed a piece of 3/4" plywood to the bottom of the bucket so it didn't topple over.

I have the round stand up style and the rectangle horizontal style at the shop. I use them for 9". I am currently out of the shop until Thrusday, but I happen to have a few empty cases and 3 mopar chunks. So if you would like I will test fit/photo in both style cases and let you know what I find.

Scott
Laris Motorsports Insurance Racing

I have the round stand up style and the rectangle horizontal style at the shop. I use them for 9". I am currently out of the shop until Thrusday, but I happen to have a few empty cases and 3 mopar chunks. So if you would like I will test fit/photo in both style cases and let you know what I find.

Scott
Laris Motorsports Insurance Racing
Thanks.

Description says "most 9"fords, and others of similar size" I think that style would work for an 8 3/4.
The black one Speedmaster shipped my 9"center in recently looks just like the one in the above post, #4 and #13, and I don't think it would work for an 8 3/4.
If your shipping one, and not anticipating getting it back, 5 gallon bucket is what I would use...... after taking the laundry detergent out.

A milk crate is a little more substantial than a bucket. I've had exactly one bad buying experience since I've been on FABO, and that was when I bought a 3.55 chunk from a guy (moron) in MT. He drug around for 3 months before he shipped it. He took the yoke off and kept it and stuck the rest in a Homer bucket from Home Depot and shipped it. When I got it, the bottom of the brand-new bucket was busted from where the ring gear had been beating it for 2500 miles. Didn't hurt the ring gear, and by that point I was just thankful to get it. I bought another 8 3/4 chunk from another guy on here and he shipped it in a milk crate that was inside a thick carboard box made to fit around the milk crate. He cut handles in the carboard the same place they were in the milk crate. It all arrived unscathed. If I just wanted to store them, I would put them in a trash bag and set them in milk crates. I have several stored like that. The 6 gallon plastic crates work best.

Ok...the round style I have has no name on it. I don't like the fit. Almost looks like I would want a metal ring to keep it from falling through. Also, the yoke hits top and would have to be removed to completely close the case. It seemed a little "tippy" and will likely roll on its side when being handled by a shipper.

20240111_092208.jpg

20240111_092214.jpg

The box style appears to be the way to go. The one I have is a Moser brand. It is a tight fit, with the gear and the yoke both touching the ends, but it was not a squeeze to get it in. Top fits properly.

20240111_092446.jpg

20240111_092450.jpg

I wonder if this one would work? Although, I suspect it may also be too short for an 8.75 with the yoke. I like the vertical style better since I don’t plan on moving it around much.

E25D845E-642C-4B3E-B990-94D023A208B0.jpeg

Last edited:
I am afraid that one is also for the Ford 9", and if you look at my photos, you will see the 8-3/4 comes close to falling through the hole in the 9" round case. I find the rectangle box is also much easier to hold and carry.

I used a large milk crate to ship a 8.75 cross country. Thin plywood in the bottom, 1/4 inch on top, screwed it down on the edges. Made the trip no problems....

-
Back