Want the best dual exhaust known for my ''65 GT Commando

-

Frank Miller

Reaction score
I really did spend hours and PM'd a couple of great mopar wizards but they both responded exactly as I've found myself feeling with that dead end not easy or common setup. At least 95% of the hundreds of exhaust threads were the muscle minded newer and bigger engine gurus. Tons of interesting things I learned considering I didn't know an X from an H crossover let alone where to begin to resource the most important "correct" headpipes and so on. Plainly speaking I just spent the last six months and way to much doe and time putting together the most perfect '65 Commando GT power train possible I added the power steering, rare but perfect front rotor setup with a bitchen and believe me impossible to find "correct" booster that is totally Mopar's options completely rebuilding the stock 273/904 combo and patiently tracked down a perfect 8-3/4 rear and then searched another month or so to strike gold with a pristine suregrip with the 3.55 gearing. You see my problem is that I became so obsessed with maxing out the running gear that I refused to cave in to all my Mopar buddies pressure and insistance that I just had to modify the underbody and absolutely add dual exhaust. I feel like a pussy avoiding the challenge but now am going full speed ahead to find someone who can lead me to the best setup known to help pump up my poor little 235 h.p. commando. I won't budge on going with headers though so I know I already lost half of you just because I am deadset on sandblasting and coating my original cast manifolds. Please tell me this is possible. No expense spared, no ****. I'm hearing I might find trouble right off piping over the right tierod, and is my super-duper power steering stuff difficult to work past? Is it true that TTI does make the best head pipes to climb out of the engine compartment and I found the thread pictures with their tranny crossmember modified set but then am I on my own as far as putting together a full 2-1/2 X setup and crawl both pipes up and over the larger 8-3/4 case outside of the springs straight and high up from front to rear. I'm not even close to knowing what the perfect muffler sound setup should be but I really want it to be quiet and soft almost unnoticable until I get that moment to be frisky and put the 904 shift action to it's limit. That little 235 sure looks like it could hang with you big daddys but I haven't heard of anyone thats done it. I feel like the proverbial "Little train that couldn't" or as Rodney puts it, "I tell ya' I get no respect" If I'm on a hopeless quest someone please tell me where the best Mopar shrinks can be found. I have to do this exactly like 'ol Frank would tell us: "and I did it..my..... way.... But please..just not the wrong way. If my prayers are answered and I find this setup is possible then I still will need that shrink because I haven't even thought about let alone started my body or interior at all yet. I found this Light Biege with the brown interior from the original owner last summer who is in his eighties and I am set on blowing him away when I'm done going broke on this thing, but am sickly-mad about how my 14" wheels and every detail has come together so far. Someone just say it: this guy needs to be hauled away, his Moparittis has gone code 4. Thanks, Frank.

Can I make a suggestion? why not just get a pair of the 68-71 340 manifolds? They're available new and FIT and will outflow the stock ones by a mile and still look original cause they are....just not for your year. I mean if you're going with duals.....that the car did NOT have, why not? I can completely concur with your decision about headers.....I HATE um. They SUCK for longevity and ground clearance the really good ones SUCK for cost. the 340 manifolds are tight, but they FIT. there's a thread around here somewhere with somebody that has the later 340 manifolds on an early A, but I've seen the 68-71 ones on a car in person......my 1965 valiant I used to have before I put headers on it. a 2.5" pipe will come right off the manifold, no step down needed. That's what I'd do if it was mine.

-
Back