Want to build an kids electric "jeep"...ideas?

-

moparfreak77

Reaction score
My kids have used a powerwheels jeep for years, however they are getting bigger and need a bigger "jeep". I do have an old riding lawnmower that I want to use. I want to keep it electric, and use some deep cycle batteries. Question is what do I use for the motor/motors? I imagine the motors from the original jeep would burn up in no time. I've thought about wiper motors or even starters but wonder how long they would last and/or the batteries. it would be nice if a charge lasted for a few hours if possible, then I could just swap batteries. How does the original jeep hi/low range work? Any ideas welcomed! Thanks

Use an electric mobility scooter. If you get a four wheel as opposed yo a three wheel one, you csn use the front end and steering.

My son in law used two Dewalt 18volt motors and two 12 volt batteries.(24 volts)

It was a little too much for the girls cause they were doing doughnuts in the garage and melting the wheels.
It also did some nasty wheelies in rocky terrain.

get a go kart rear axle, and a set of bearing blocks, and a large diameter chain sprocket to attach to the axle id recommend a 60 tooth sprocket . then get a 110 volt AC electric motor and a small diameter chain sprocket for the motor id recommend a 16 to 20 tooth.

use a power inverter to convert a 12V DC car battery to 110V AC. use a rheostat in the circuit for a gas pedal, as far as reversing motor direction goes i dont have a clue as to how to wire that in.

with what i described you may have to govern down the motor speed, or experiment with differing diameter axle sprockets to limit top speed.

depending on motor RPM, and torque, this thing may well be faster than a golf cart.

somebody here may have a better idea than mine

have fun
just my .02
matt

-
Back