Want To Build Garage

-

KP

Reaction score
Looking to recommendations and suggestions along with pros and Con for the following to options…

Stick build a garage with the help of friends

VS

A pole building garage that a contractor would come with a team of workers and assemble.

Thanks In Advance!

I've tryed the pay friends with hotdogs and beer scheme. Result is 9 supervisors drinking and watching the one non-drinker work until he gets hurt.

I built my own place in NY, wood frame 2X6 ground floor with a Vault Truss roof that sports a 12X36 foot room upstairs....friends helped lift up the walls to their braces, and a small crane crew was hired to put on the trusses and steel roofing.....did all the rest myself...(had an existing slab and oil pit from an earlier garage that the State tore down)....Nearly killed me though....all things considered, because of the construction, it's a bit more strong and has a higher value than a steel building, BUT to have a steel building put up on your site is a LOT easier, and for car guys, may make more overall sense.......you can get more bang for your buck if you choose the right company.........no termite or dry rot issues, and you can get a bigger building for the same bucks (except for a contractors labor.....)

There are some GREAT deals out there on steel buildings right now.......do your homework before you decide..........If I had it to do over, I'd probably go steel.

I suppose it depends on your friends, I built mine with 2 good friends that are both in the trades, for the most part we worked first and drank second, ok, there was some overlap :-D Anyway it worked perfectly.

Steel is fine if you live in an Industrial Park but putting that in your backyard in a residential area isn't going to fly where I live. It's also cold so if you live in cold country you'll have a heck of a time heating it.

I had one built by these guys:

http://www.conestogabuildings.com/

They use good materials and have a very skilled work force. They also listened to what I wanted and did what they said they would.

Mine is a pole building that is sided and built to match my existing attached garage.

Steel is fine if you live in an Industrial Park but putting that in your backyard in a residential area isn't going to fly where I live. It's also cold so if you live in cold country you'll have a heck of a time heating it.

This what I built in the backyard;

Garage11.jpg

Garage-3.jpg

I heat it with a propane garage heater in the winter when I am working out there. Takes about 20-30 minutes to get it to a comfortable working temp from zero ambient and a 20 lb propane bottle will last about three days of working in the garage.

I was told by the building inspector that it classified as a temporary structure so I didn't have to get a permit but i went ahead and got a variance (I wasn't going to meet the set backs from the property lines) and permit so no one can force me to take it down.

The total cost including buying the building, excavation for the footings, concrete and elecrical was less than $10k. It took two days with 3 helpers to erect the main structure and a day an 1 1/2 to do the end walls with 1 helper.

My only regret is I didn't go bigger.

I think in PA a steel Building would be pretty damn cold in the winter? How do you insulate something like that? Also, In my neighbourhood, a steel building would nevewr be approved by the residents association.

Edit: sorry, I posted this while others replied " Yah....What they said"

I'll be adding more later this year

For that other type building you could have that spray foam insulation

KSP. I just had a garage built with in the last few weeks. I did the analysis between the Pole Building Vs. Stick Built. When I was getting quotes I had the builders give me a price between Poles and foundation and I think the difference was between $1,500 and $2,000 depending on the builder. But, I also have a brick veneer on my blocks which I am assuming cost a bit more too.

I went with the foundation because I was trying to match my house. The builders also mentioned that I should go with a stick built building if I was going to drywall the inside because you would end up buying the 2X4's anyways.

Good luck in your decision making process.

0328081810.jpg

I had Morton Buildings do both of mine, I'm very happy with them:

garage03.jpg

garage04.jpg

garage06.jpg

My choice would be a 6 car 1 bedroom apartment plus lounge with child/wife proof locks. But that is just me. My older brother built a huge stick garage in Ohio. 5 cars wide and about 5 deep. He then used it to fab and store all the panels for the house that he was building. I will see if I can find some pictures of it.

Your 6 car 1 bedroom comment reminds me of an old guy in Washingon state that I saw on a show, he collects cars and has them in various places. His wife describes their place as a typical 5 bedroom, 400 car garage :-D And that's no joke.

Mine is 50X60X18 with 1000sq/ft of living space upstairs.

I think that figures out to 57,000 cubic feet (figuring in the roof peak)

I have tossed around both. My only issue with metal is that it "can" look cheap if not done right. Steel prices are going up, but timber is coming down thanks to the housing bust.

Either way, concrete costs will kill me. I have a 1 car garage on my house, but my back yard is good sized and 12 feet worth of ROW on the side of the house. I have been tossing around a 24x28 or 28x32 in the back yard, but it'll be a long driveway.

I'm a contractor ...that is what i do...
Without a dout build a stick frame building. The cost will be roughly the same and will be easier to insulate ,wire, and finish out on the inside. I perfer in floor heat which is THE ONLY way to go.
But you could have walls framed up ready to stand for Saturday morning when the friends arrive, brace it up and sit up the trusses. and have it trimmed by noon/hot dog time. Then getur sheeted in the afternoon. By the time the steaks are done and the beers cold You'll have a garage.. Then you can finish the siding/soffit/facia yourself.
Sounds easy huh?

Without a dout build a stick frame building. The cost will be roughly the same and will be easier to insulate ,wire, and finish out on the inside. I perfer in floor heat which is THE ONLY way to go.
But you could have walls framed up ready to stand for Saturday morning when the friends arrive, brace it up and sit up the trusses. and have it trimmed by noon/hot dog time. Then getur sheeted in the afternoon. By the time the steaks are done and the beers cold You'll have a garage.. Then you can finish the siding/soffit/facia yourself.
Sounds easy huh?

Where are you located? I would be interested in having you give me a price!

Stick build will be the way I go :-D
9' walls to a good size lento around the back of a a 24X30. barn look for a sleeper up staires.
shower, sink and toilet. Pool table bar and room to work on family projects.

Sounds easy huh?

sounds easy if your Popeye:toothy10:

-
Back