Want to get rid of power steering - tired of all the leaks

-

rms492

Reaction score
Hello, I think I finally gave up on leaks from the power steering pump. I have bought numerous re-built units, and they all start leaking soon after I install them...really tired of the crap I keep buying.

So, I decided to get rid of p/s completely...how do I go about doing that? Do I need a different gearbox? Do I need a different pitman arm?

Anything else, please let us know.

Thanks

Car: '70 Dart, slant six, automatic

Yes, you will need the manual steering box. I would replace the pitman arm as long as you're there.

There is one for sale here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=199525&highlight=manual+steering+box

Badsport is right.take the chance to swap in a new pitman whilke your at it.

Arent the steering columns different lengths?

Manual box, and a power steering to manual column adapter, if not swapping to a manual steering column if you can find one.

http://www.firmfeel.com/column_adapt.htm

coladp.jpg

Manual box, and a power steering to manual column adapter, if not swapping to a manual steering column if you can find one.

That's good to know, I have been considering swapping to manual as well. I didn't realize the difference in columns.

Hello, I think I finally gave up on leaks from the power steering pump. I have bought numerous re-built units, and they all start leaking soon after I install them...really tired of the crap I keep buying.

So, I decided to get rid of p/s completely...how do I go about doing that? Do I need a different gearbox? Do I need a different pitman arm?

Anything else, please let us know.

Thanks

Car: '70 Dart, slant six, automatic

I did this on my 68. Any PS fluid put into the reservoir immediately leaked out within a few miles. So I drove the car with the PS belt off for about 3 years before I switched. It wasn't just the PS as I also replaced the K frame and front suspension with 73-76 stuff. I exchanged that heavy, slimy cast iron chunk with an original 16:1 manual box. Other than eliminating the mess, it also saves substantial weight as the MS casting is aluminum and there is no pump or drive belt required. Also should add a few HP and increase MPG a little.

The manual steering DOES require a longer shaft OR an adaptor. I bought a manual steering column and ended up just exchanging the actual steel shaft inside keeping my original column housing because it was in better shape. I rebuilt the coupler with one of those rebuild kits while I was at it. Usually, when you buy a used box, the pitman arm is still on it.

If you feel lucky, I believe some of the 70's full-size vans and maybe pickups used that adaptor (shown in a previous post) when manual steering equipped. That way the factory could use one standard column and not have to worry about the difference in length. I'm pretty sure Flaming River also made a u-joint style adaptor that did the same thing.

Yep you'll need a steering box, pitman arm and then either an adapter or a steering shaft from a manual steering column.

I did this swap a couple months ago. I have a slant six pump and I don't believe it was leaking when it was in the car. If you want to give it a shot let me know. I'm not looking to get rich off it. I'll ship it to you for $20, so if you are interested send me a PM. Unless you get lucky, it'll run you around $250 to get manual steering set up in your car.

Also tired of the leaking so broke down and bought a flaming river manual steering box and adapter, much happier now!!:toothy8::toothy8::toothy8::toothy8::toothy8::toothy8::toothy8::toothy8:

Pauly- just had to repost this- think HARD about it lol...

a bit pricey, and I like Dick at FirmFeel alot, but I really like this adapter better.

Hey guys, not trying to hi-jack a thread here, but found this post in searching and rather make a new thread about the same thing I thought best to post here.

I have a 73 dart sport with a 400 in it, working on restoring now and need to get some headers in to replace the manifolds...only looking at how close things are sitting its not going to happen without converting to manual steering. Car has already went from column shift to floor, would anyone mind posting in detail whats needed to make the conversion?

thanks so much

-
Back