Want to upgrade the exhaust on my Slant ...size matters?

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
Hey MoPros, I have 66 Dart with the old Slant. Has the stock 1 3/4 exhaust from mani to tail.

I cut out the old muffler and clamped in a new Dynomax 17514. It as 2in in/outs.

I have swapped in the Super Six setup, etc... which suggests I should upsize exhaust to 2 1/4.

Is that correct? And is there any issue with me going 2 1/4 to my new 2in muffler? then 2 1/4 out of the muffler?

What makes the most sense? Ideally reusing my new muffler. Thanks guys.

Well, you might as well go 2" from the muffler back. It wouldn't help going 2-1/4 after the muffler. You would still see a benefit compared to the 1-3/4 end-to-end system.

Hey MoPros, I have 66 Dart with the old Slant. Has the stock 1 3/4 exhaust from mani to tail.

I cut out the old muffler and clamped in a new Dynomax 17514. It as 2in in/outs.

I have swapped in the Super Six setup, etc... which suggests I should upsize exhaust to 2 1/4.

Is that correct? And is there any issue with me going 2 1/4 to my new 2in muffler? then 2 1/4 out of the muffler?

What makes the most sense? Ideally reusing my new muffler. Thanks guys.
Size matters...2 1/4 is good

I went with 2 1/4 on my slant from the headers to the tip and I noticed the difference

If I was gonna do that, I would run 3inch into a 3"-in muffler, and whatever, out,lol. Why? Cuz the cost of the pipe upsize is minimal, and that cannon will present nearly atmospheric pressure to the 2bbl. Any backpressure in the system and the 2bbl will probably show little to no improvement. I can say that Cuz I know. I think I had more power with the big 1bbl.
Of course 3" is overkill, so what. The installed cost is nearly the same. Ok at least 2.5.......

There's more to it than size. Did you read the article recently linked by another member?
Auto Exhaust Science

That's old hat in exhaust circles, but well written and generally accepted.

I take it you have a almost stock slant, except for the 2 bbl carb. If it were me, I would use either 2 or 2 1/4 inch from the manifold to the muffler, and 2 inch from the muffler to the rear.Best bang for the buck.

thanks for ideas guys. I decided to just order a new muffler with the 2 1/4 in/out. Then it can all be 2 1/4 from mani to tail.
Maybe someone will give me a few $ for my year old Dynomax muffler on craigslist.

-
Back