-
Status
Not open for further replies.

cecil4speed

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Would any one in Canada, preferably close to the Maritimes, have an A833 OD transmission bell housing to fit a 340? I guess the ordinary small block bell housing will not work with the OD unit because of the larger front brg retainer. May also be interested in the whole setup, transmission & bell hsg as I do not have the transmission yet either.

As I understand it, you might be better off to get the trans first.

:There were three different sizes on production four speeds. There was the 5.125" dia. IBR used on the 1975 and later Overdrive units, the 4.80" dia IBR used on "Hemi" transmissions, and a 4.35" dia. IBR used on everything else.:
--from
http://www.slantsix.org/articles/4-speeds/ODA833fourspeed1.htm

IBR = Input bearing retainer (the groove on the face of the transmission that the bellhousing sits against.)

I have read of people having the inner bearing retainer opening on the bellhousing opened up to the larger 5.125 side to match the OD transmission, and I have also heard of them using the larger 5.125 bellhousing, and a smaller 4.8 or 4.35 transmission, and making a ring that takes up the space between the smaller IBR and the larger 5.125 bellhousing.

The vast majority of sb bell housings will have the 4.80" bearing retainer hole. You can buy the 4.8" retainer that will fit on an A833OD or machine down the 5.125" retainer to 4.8".

Whatever you decide. I do have an aluminum small block bellhousing with the 4.80 diameter hole. If there is any chance you know someone coming to Moparfest in New Hamburg. I will be there and can bring it.

I have a OD trans in my duster, the gear ratios are not that desirable. The first gear is a 3.09 which is low and good for starting out, but 2nd is a big drop in rpm and same with third. I am likely going to put mt regular 4spd back in.

I sort of expedted that 340duster. I really don't know what else to do right now. I want an OD but can't afford a gear vendors unit or a TKO 600 right now. I don't think a T5 or something simular is going to suit me. I guess I'll have to save longer for GV unit.

I really don't know what else to do right now. I want an OD but can't afford a gear vendors unit or a TKO 600 right now. I don't think a T5 or something simular is going to suit me. I guess I'll have to save longer for GV unit.

Is a gear swap in the rear end an option for you? 2.76s would give you the long legs for the highways.

No. I want it all. LOL. I want to go to 3:91 or 4:11 for some more torque, but I drive the car a lot so I need an OD to off set the low gears. Thanks anyway. Can't I have it both ways ?? HA HA

I have 3:92's (8.25") and the o/d. It is good on the highway, but as I mentioned the gear split is not good. But as far as a budget goes it is a good deal. If I could afford it I would definitely have a 5 or 6 speed.

I have a OD trans in my duster, the gear ratios are not that desirable. The first gear is a 3.09 which is low and good for starting out, but 2nd is a big drop in rpm and same with third. I am likely going to put mt regular 4spd back in.

I have the A833OD and 3.55 gears behind a 360 (also had it behind a \6 for awhile). Anyway the gear spread is just not an issue for a street driven vehicle, even a \6. It may not be ideal for maximum acceleration but the 360 pulls the gear spread with no issue and I have run a very traction limited best of 13.7 secs @ 102 mph with a miserable 2.2 sec 60' time with it. Based on the trap speed the car has the potential to be a low 13 sec or possibly a high 12 performer with good traction off the line.

The ability to cruise on the hiway at 70 mph turning 2200 rpm while pulling down 22 mpg makes it all worth while.

I'm a ways away from you, I'm in Idaho at 83402. I have the right bell, part #1202507. I'll sell it to you for $20 plus shipping. Check that number to be sure it will work for you. It is aluminum @ 5lbs. Tdemo 43

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back