Wanted: Wheaten Terrier

-

MB43

Reaction score
I'm looking for a purebred Wheaten Terrier, preferably one from a rescue or a shelter. Or if somebody has one they can't take care of anymore and are looking to re-home.

If you know of one, please drop me a line.

Before you suggest it, I've already been in touch with the Wheaten Rescue associations in the US and have been looking in the northeast. They're hard to come by... there's a whole load from puppy mills but I don't want to go that route.

I work (volunteer) for a Humane Society in Georgia and will keep an eye out for you.

Much like this.

jazzmin.jpg

soft_coated_wheaten_terrier_03.jpg

198.jpg

They're much darker when they're puppies.

soft-coated-wheaten-terrier-0005.jpg

From the Humane Society of Northwest Georgia.

Check your PM... that guy looks like he's got a lot of Wheaten in him but we're looking for a purebred because my wife is allergic to dander, and the Wheatens don't shed. If you come across one that's a Wheaten mixed with another terrier or other breed that doesn't shed, let me know!

Airedales shed very little as they are a wire-haired terrier. My buddy had one and I have allergies too, but his Airedale never gave me problem in that respect.

I have to say that my rotties shed like crazy, but I try to brush them three times a week and and for some reason, I am very tolerant to this breeds dander. I would say have your wife check out (nuzzle up to) an Airedale and see if she has any adverse reaction.

Be aware that these can get big and are known to get to 100 lbs. but generally are around 55- 65 pounds and 24" at the shoulder as the AKC standard will testify to. They are also incredibly intelligent and were used by the English in WWI as courier dogs. They are world-wide known as the "King of Terriers". They are generally of sweet disposition but a non-owner would be ill-advised to challenge one.

Very neat dogs but not for everyone. Just a thought. :)

ad1.jpg

ad2.jpg

ad3.jpg

ad4.jpg

Finally found one! We're driving upstate this weekend to meet him and his current family. They're moving and can't take them with them.

Yay! ;-)

10729_1225632244591_1342567651_30627152_8211421_n.jpg

Cool! Nothing like a new dog to change the house around. :) Did you get him some new bowls and bones?:grommit::grommit:

Whoops, forgot to follow up on this.

Say hi to Ronan!

IMG_2599.jpg

IMG_2602.jpg

IMG_2603.jpg

IMG_2604.jpg

What a cutie Ronan is!!! Woof, woof :grommit: How old is he, kinda looks like a pup still?

-
Back