Was it the real deal or a fake?

-

dustermaniac

Reaction score
Just watched the Barrett Jackson Auction that was aired yesterday (taped it) and saw the auction for the 1963 Pontiac Bonneville Ambulance that reportedly carried Kennedy's body from Andrews to Bethesda hospital. Well I am posting this to see what you all think. Here is an article I found on the web that says it was a fake and has pics and documentation of the "original" ambulance being crushed in a Boston Junkyard back in the 80's So what do you think? Please comment on this.

http://jalopnik.com/5739333/president-kennedys-ambulance-is-a-fake

http://jalopnik.com/5740112/barrett+jackson-stonewalls-over-jfk-ambulance?skyline=true&s=i

Hard to say? About the only thing I thought they proved beyond any doubt is that is was a navy issue piece of hardware.

Sounds to me after reading the article that the car is indeed a fake.

I truly wonder how many other cars are BS lies. We are talking professional USED car salesman here at their best.......

Sounds to me after reading the article that the car is indeed a fake.

I truly wonder how many other cars are BS lies. We are talking professional USED car salesman here at their best.......

Could there have been two ambulances? I personally think that is a possibility but there was a lot of documentation with the vehicle sold yesterday to "appear" that that car had some historical significance to the actual event. We may never know.

the ambulance that carried kennedy's body would be of such historical importance I dont see how any one would crush it

The car is real Navy issue...but probably not the Kennedy car as the selling price was not what was predicted.

After all the disclaimers by the Barrett-Jackson folks I am skeptical of it being what it is claimed to be. Sounded like they were trying to cover their butts a little too much. The look on the owners face when it sold said he expected a lot more. There is another JFK ambulance on ebay now with a much higher asking price. http://tiny.cc/j8zf4

The way I see it is..
Pontiac Historicals show the car was shipped to the coachbuilders.
The VIN matched the coach builders records.
The VIN matched the Navy records for the veh. #.
The hidden numbers matched the VIN
The engine numbers matched Pontiac, coach builders and also the Navy records.

Yup then they were talking about it being immediately bought from new owner by a car collector for her private museum. hmmmm wonder what that's all about?

Was that Tammy Allan or Addison Brown missed her name but I have seen her buy tons of cars there before?

I believe it is the real one, went into a private collection to conceal the secret escape conpartment,, yes, JFK is out playing golf with Elvis,,

I was told last night at the Barrett Party I was at, that the US Gov't had ordered everything destroyed that dealt with the assisnation (i.e cars, clothes, ambulance etc.).

I was told last night at the Barrett Party I was at, that the US Gov't had ordered everything destroyed that dealt with the assisnation (i.e cars, clothes, ambulance etc.).

I remember reading something (no idea where, sorry) that the Lincoln convertable he was riding in when shot, was retro-fitted with a roof and bullit-proofing and used by Johnson (maybe Nixon, too?) before being retired. It seems that if anything should have gone in a museum and not altered... I don't know, maybe it is part of a cover-up, maybe it was a way to not be reminded of a "national tragedy"?

-
Back