was mopar blind

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Well i think so,only when it came to calling there door panels white.When I did the interior white on the 69 Dart, I painted every thing white,than the door panels came in factory correct there were not white at all looks more like ivory, look like **** up against the white trim.Now I am up against the problim,I hope it does not come back to bite me but i am now painting some of the trim ivory,that is very close to the door panels.Does anyone else get bug but the off colors.or am i :wack:

I bug on white or blue interiors that are 3 or 4 different shades. But mine are black lol

Well i think so,only when it came to calling there door panels white.When I did the interior white on the 69 Dart, I painted every thing white,than the door panels came in factory correct there were not white at all looks more like ivory, look like **** up against the white trim.Now I am up against the problim,I hope it does not come back to bite me but i am now painting some of the trim ivory,that is very close to the door panels.Does anyone else get bug but the off colors.or am i :wack:

I like to think they were doing a lot of drugs. Particularly when they did the hang10 dusters and darts:

bg-pic-g.jpg

Most folks match the paint color to the vinyl that way it's not looking like fido's ***.

I went as far as to get samples of the vinyl from Legendary prior to painting anything. the rear finish panels and arm rests were painted to match the legendary vinyl in this pic.

I know hindsight is 20/20 but this is for others waiting to make the same mistakes.

the 200 series white is really more eggshell than white.

I agree that having 5 different shades makes it looks bad for sure.:wack:

Attachments

• 20140719_081934.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 307
Are there not paint codes for the exterior and interior on the build tag? Or doesn't this help?

Yes there are paint codes for the interior but Ma Mopar was the goddess of clashiness. She didn't care if it was stripes with polka dots so why care if there's 5 shades of blue in your car. The nebulous paint codes are in some of the restoration books that I have.

If you want it to look sano then you have to stray outside the parameters of what a STOCK car would look like.

My wifes 69 vert had at least 5 colors inside.

200-white,
B5 Blue inside doors.
Some other shade of B5 blue on the dash.
Dash cap dyed another shade of B5
Then the carpet which was nothing close to B5.
Steering wheel was between B5 and B7.

It was a horrible clash-fest before I stripped it all away and started over and finished with only two colors. 200-white and B7 Blue

Attachments

• 100_3463.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 194
Time fades these colors, and different surfaces will fade at different rates. Also I think they had multiple suppliers of materials back in the day, so anyone expecting the colors to all be exactly the same will be in for a disappointment for sure. The right way to do it is just like momoparman said........

if you get the ppg paint chip chart for your particular car, it shows the int colors (codes) used by factory on back side. you will see it changes from model to model somewhat but basically, yes the interior was several different shades. gloss, satin, semi gloss etc.
to me, int does not look right painted one shade especially gloss. but then again a 60's car painted bc/cc shiny does not look "right " either! I say if you want your interior a certain way, then that is what ya should do!

Yes factory interior parts do not match over time because of different manufactures of the parts, today's new cars will do it too after about 15 years.

If you are re-painting factory interior parts, OER brand that Classic Industries sells is the best match I have found, hold on to your wallet, it like $17 a spray can.

Yes factory interior parts do not match over time because of different manufactures of the parts, today's new cars will do it too after about 15 years.

If you are re-painting factory interior parts, OER brand that Classic Industries sells is the best match I have found, hold on to your wallet, it like $17 a spray can.

I can go to the city,, pro pain t store (colorvision) and get a spray can of any interior color or a 1/2 pint in a can, correct color and flatness or gloss. i'm thinking its less than classics $17 plus shipping!

-
Back