Was this ever popular?

-

zakimodo

Reaction score
Just like the title says. Was this ever popular, or is this a GM thing . I have seen allot of camaros and novas with tires that stick way out past the quarters. I like cars with a little wider stance but this seems a little over kill.

Attachments

• 2012-11-02 15.46.11.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 517
  • 2012-11-02 15.46.31.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 495
thats the old school dish dish wheel offset poking out lol

Attachments

• clone5.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 503
Many cars, especially back in the day had tires like that. Today, seems more like a Camaro thing lol!!

Same here. Go out on the road with those, especially the second one and you will be taking a ride in a tow truck to get home.

Jack

Years and years ago, most folks couldn't afford the work to do it right. Throw in the fact that there were very few wheel offsets and sizes available, and most guys wound up with L60s on an 8" wide wheel with air shocks to get them to clear. We didn't have the tools to do much better. I.E. MIG welders were still in the future, ditto TIG. Arc welders were prohibitively expensive as well as oxy/acetylene torches, and a plasma cutter would have been like handing a cave man a Zippo. Quaint custom, eh?

Years and years ago, most folks couldn't afford the work to do it right. Throw in the fact that there were very few wheel offsets and sizes available, and most guys wound up with L60s on an 8" wide wheel with air shocks to get them to clear. We didn't have the tools to do much better. I.E. MIG welders were still in the future, ditto TIG. Arc welders were prohibitively expensive as well as oxy/acetylene torches, and a plasma cutter would have been like handing a cave man a Zippo. Quaint custom, eh?

Yep, what Grumpus said.

Very popular in my neck of the woods in the 70s and early 80s.

A high school friend had a 72 Gremlin with wheels like that...he sold the wheels to another buddy and he put them on his 70 Barracuda.

I ended up with them on my 75 Granada for a year or two.

Awwww...memories...those were the days.

Paul

to answer your question, Yes....it was popular back in the sixties and seventies. I had a few cars with that look myself, way back in high school. The chevy crowd still seems to think it's cool.... L-60s on the widest rim you could buy, was the first thing every kid wanted to do to his car, along with jacking up the rear with air shocks. Man did those cars handle and ride like crap.....but it looked cool ! well back in the day anyway.

Was it, it must have been because I seen many of these on the road back in the day, watch them on a rainy day and all you can see is a spray of water from the door back.
And I see many Jeeps and trucks (4x4's) on the road here doing it now #-o
Stay far away from them because it will throw rocks and anything they hit in the air.. Should be against the law to do this her Jack, but it must be ok.. #-o

Grumpus nailed it, lmao David :D

Gotta agree with Grumpus, that's all you could do back then if your wide tires couldn't fit it the stock wheelwells. Luckily, the '70 Charger I had back then could fit L60-15 tires in the stock wheelwells and they wouldn't stick out past the body. Yeah, it did have the requisite Gabriel Hijacker air shocks to get the right look for the SoCal streets - just a little bit of a rake, not the ugly stinkbug look.
I've always had aftermarket wheels on my cars but never had any tires stick out past the body - always thought it was an ugly look.

That Charger looks like it has dually's...Cop would write you up out here if you didnt have mudflaps on any tire that extends 1.5 inches from the wheel well. Imagine that camaro with mud flaps...Many Mopars cant do that as the well is not round stock without the 3" shackles out back. Like mine back in 85....:) If mine had a solid front axle, it would have looked, well.....like a crappy paint drag car but not as fast...

Yup, that was the norm back in the day. I did not like it also. To make things worse some would flare the fenders to ridiculous dimensions to cover the tire and then the quarter was pretty much destroyed if you wanted to go back or do it correct.

Back in the day, WTF does that mean? I seen that stuff in the back country, reverse shackles, tires outside the body all done by mopar morons. That camaro guy probably wanted it to look like his ol'Charger

"One of us" refused".........................

I no longer have any photos of my 69 or my 64 426. The 69 (383) had factory Magnum 500's. The 64 has poor factory tubs and "was" a problem to find wheels. If I got the 70 REALLY out of shape in a corner, it would sometimes rub one rear tire

81sruds.jpg

awww the memories. a buddy's brother had an el camino with a 327 and a set of wide 60 series Posi-Traction tires. he never could do a burnout with them. i put them on my stock 318 73' challenger and boiled the crap out of them over the summer...man he hated that :burnout:

when i started wrenching cars i thought that was the only way a car was supposed to be set up, that's how all of them were...
:glasses7:

This was an early warning system when backing up to alert you that you were in jeopardy of ripping off your side view mirror #-o

Heres a couple o my stink bugs from back in the day.:D

Attachments

• RR 70 FC7 rear 34.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 318
  • RR 71 EB5 front34 001.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 318
  • Cuda 70 Black rear.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 317
Yeah, it was that 70s look. Just like platform shoes and double knit shirts with collars the size of elephant ears, WHAT WERE WE THINKING?????

-
Back