Washer Pump Question

-

Chuckman

Reaction score
Windshield Washer Pump. I have a 66 Valiant. I thought the windshield washer pump was manual, with a button on the floor. I have pulled the carpet and the only button I see is the dimmer switch. If it is an electric pump, what turns it on? If there is a button you pump with your foot, is it somewhere else?

If there's no wire going to an electric pump on or near the wiper fluid reservoir you have the "low line" washer system that had a rubber pump on the floor near the dimmer switch. It had two small rubber hoses attached, one from the washer reservoir (usually a bag, I think) and the other to the washer nozzles. It also had a firewall grommet with two holes for the hoses. Hope that helps...

BC

To add.
If your switch pushes in for the washer, it also turns the wipers on low at the same time.
My electric pump didn't work and was all covered in JB weld (apparently because it leaked)
I got a tank and pump out of the local U pick it and rebuilt the whole system.
Not factory obviously, but it sure works good.

To add.
If your switch pushes in for the washer, it also turns the wipers on low at the same time.
My electric pump didn't work and was all covered in JB weld (apparently because it leaked)
I got a tank and pump out of the local U pick it and rebuilt the whole system.
Not factory obviously, but it sure works good.

That isn't true of the earlier switches. You could push for wash and not get a single sweep from the wipers.
I'm not sure what year the rotating to low speed was added to the push motion.

That isn't true of the earlier switches. You could push for wash and not get a single sweep from the wipers.
I'm not sure what year the rotating to low speed was added to the push motion.

Ah,
I just assumed if it was that early it had a foot pump or the newer style.
Never considered something in between the two. :D

With a small wiring change I use the push feature of my 67 wiper switch to get a single sweep ( intermittent like ) wiper operation. Add a foot pump washer and have better than any OEM setup. :)

I have three wiper switches from that era. The two variable speed ones have a button in the center of the knob for the washer. The two speed one does not have a button in the center. On that one, pushing the whole knob activates the washer. I think that's a two-speed switch anyway, it's in storage right now.

BC

-
Back