wastegate sizes please!

-

bigtommy

old school power
Reaction score
im looking to turbo my 318 valiant. its a 75 rv motor with a alum 4bbl intake, 454lift comp cam other then that its a bone stock motor. looking to see what size wastegate and turbo i should run. i was looking to run 10lbs or more. was looking at the h1c off the 1st gen cummins or the hx35. i have a 8.25 rear with 3.23 gears with a 727 3speed auto transmission. i would like to get a tail 38mm wastegate. good size? and intercooler? should i run one or not. do i need one? and fuel pump? imma take the manual one off and run the oil return there. what size electric pump should i run. and how many pounds do you guys thing this motor could handle on a weekend driver. the motor is like 75k miles btw. i know im asking a lot but i dont see anything online about turboed abody.

www.theturboforums.com

Best place to learn from the beginning. Look at the 302 builds, very similar to the 318 as far as turbo sizing and any other needs. There is a Mopar forum there too!

I just contacted him recently about his turbo. You can email him. I was asking for build details. Somewhere on this board is the original build.

38MM will work just fine but there is really no room to grow we always want more LOL a 42MM would be better and you have room to grow.

38MM will work just fine but there is really no room to grow we always want more LOL a 42MM would be better and you have room to grow.

I heard 38mm is good for up too 400hp. I'm looking to go more but what if I'm at 350hp with a 42mm wastegate. Will it hurt to have one bigger then I need?

A 42mm will be good for you and grow I have learned to go a little bigger than planned mainly because you are going to want more HP!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRKnL7Lvzy0"]turbo dakota project - YouTube[/ame]

Here it is running a friends LX with 150 shot!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzZI2JsmsrM"]94 Turbo Dakota - YouTube[/ame]

If mostly street driven go with the 50mm,i have heard if the gate is to small it can give you problems at an idle with building boost.

The truck made 493HP at the wheel with a 42MM on 10#'s.

is that your truck rdakota340?
what size turbo?
size fuel pump?
size carb?
on 10lbs thats a good hp number. i was hope in the 400's on 15 lol so maybe only 10lbs will be good for me.

Yes it was mine I sold it to do my Dart I was running a Bosh 44 pump the turbo was a 62-1 turbonectics with a .81ar it was to small for all out drag racing but I drove everywhere it was a street truck lots of fun and it's still running around town it's been together for 4 1/2 years now.

Wastegate can't be too big, if you find a 44mm you like, go for it. You could run a 60mm if you wanted no problem. The only thing you want to avoid is one that is too small. That shouldn't be a problem if you pick up a 44mm. Plus it'll cover you if you decide to upgrade your turbo later.

I do think the turbo is a little small though. The hx35 is only rated for something like 60 lbs/min (roughly 600 hp completely maxed out) so to make over 500 hp you'll be pushing it out of its efficiency zone (ie more boost pressure) and that means HEAT. I'd definitely recommend a good intercooler.

Also, the turbine is small too due to the fact that it's designed to run on an engine that never exceeds 4k rpm. On a gas engine this means that the turbo will spool quickly (a good thing), but will start to choke the engine at higher rpms. IMO, the hx35 is better suited for a 4 cylinder than a v8. It would work great as twins, but as a single not so much. If you're trying to keep it low budget there are other, better suited, low-cost options out there.

Actualy it would be to small but it will light up fast look at the 5.9 cummins witch is a 360 cube motor and they only rev about 2400 so unless your only going to run low RPM's and just have fun with the torque then use it but you really need two and then you can make the HP you want.check out the the turbo forums.com and just read there's alot of info on there for you thats where i am learning still after 6 years LOL!

-
Back