water in oil 318

-

husker2733

Reaction score
I have a 318 in which i just swapped the intake and heads on. the intake is power plus crosswind and the heads are stock 318. It took me forever to get the intake manifold sealed right and now i noticed alot of antifreze mixed in the oil. it is mainly inside the valve cover area. Not much water in the pan. What could be the problem. Any help would be much appreciated,thanks Eric

Did you use sealant around the front and rear ports on either side? They are wet.

Well, something didn't seal up right.

What was the problem with the intake sealing up?
Did you use sealent around the water ports at the heads end and if so, alot of it?
What head faskets are used?
You did use a torque wrench right? (Sorry, had to ask.)

If the intake didnt want to seal properly and it was a used intake/heads maybe it was milled or the heads were milled and the intake wasnt?

I have the same issues with my p.u. truck. I have an Edelbrock performer intake, but the leaks come from the front end of the intake. Not enough sealant there. From what I understand if .010 is removed from the head, the intake side of the head or the intake itself needs .0095 removed to keep alignment.
Since aluminum and cast iron expand and contract at different rates, isn't this what is contributing to the leak issues?

I had the same problem until I realized that after running it a few minutes that the bolts needed to be retighten. Once I did that, no problems. Did you check them again?

If you remove the intake chances are you will see where the water is leaking from. Likely the front and/or rear coolant passage as mentioned by others. Make sure if you are using front and rear end gaskets (cork or felt) that they are not keeping the intake from seating. Many people do not use the and just use gasket sealer.

-
Back