Water in oil after wash???

-

7dswinger

MOPAR's rule
Reaction score
So this may be an issue of user/idiot error here :cheers:
I've got water in the oil, discovered this today when I went to go change it. I degreased and then rinsed the engine off the other day, was careful with the intake and everything, just rinsed not sprayed but water did pool up next the heads, had to sponge it out.......Is it possible that water got into the engine that way????
Coolant level doesn't seem to have dropped at all, perfect oil pressure, no smoke or anything out back. Engine never did this before and it's been sitting for a few months so I don't what's up.

I changed the oil, put a new filter on and I'm going to run it for a short time and change filter/oil again very shortly and monitor it and the coolant level in the radiator. Any other ideas here on how to clean it out other than ripping it out and dropping the pan etc.

hopefully, it's been sitting for at least 3 months before I fixed it sunday and got it running.

^ Condom Sensation, That can be taken many ways :-D haha Sounds good. I just installed a champion radiator, went to go get gas, hit 195 :/ thought it would stay colder than that but we'll see. Didn't have time to go actually drive it.
Can't really tell how much water got in there but the oil was light grey.

^ Condom Sensation, That can be taken many ways :-D haha Sounds good. I just installed a champion radiator, went to go get gas, hit 195 :/ thought it would stay colder than that but we'll see. Didn't have time to go actually drive it.
Can't really tell how much water got in there but the oil was light grey.
Did it climb any higher than that? Because that is normal temp about. You may have an intake gasket leak and the coolant is going down the valley and into the oil. Maybe. As these guys just said, its probably condensation from sitting so long though light grey is not a favorable color. Check your oil again soon and see if it tastes bitter.

what'd temp did it run with the old brass unit?

Light grey is not good from my experience with water in oil. Be careful to not drive too far before checking that new oil. Condensation issues I have seen in the past tended to produce light brown or tannish and foamy gunk, not so much grey. But, that might be the oil type.

sorry by grey I meant light brown, It was a light brown color.
cool 195 isn't bad then. It was running 220 with electric fan with the stock one on the highway and around town it'd start to run hotter if you let it sit. So I got a champion one, seems to be working just fine w/o and electric fan then

sorry by grey I meant light brown, It was a light brown color.
cool 195 isn't bad then. It was running 220 with electric fan with the stock one on the highway and around town it'd start to run hotter if you let it sit. So I got a champion one, seems to be working just fine w/o and electric fan then
Then you are fine. If you are really concerned, I'd go grab a 180* thermostat from the part store. They come in three temps, 195*, 180*, and 160*. I wouldn't go with the 160* ever but that is me, I run a 195* in my truck and it never surpasses that unless its like 100*+ sitting in dead stop traffic. As I said, pull the dipstick out and TASTE it. If you are running antifreeze, you will IMMEDIATELY taste bitter nastiness. Like super bitter.

nope no bitterness as far as I'm concerned and I drove it a little today and it's not frothing the oil up at all i.e. colors not changing.

Cool, I'll probably break for the 180* if I have to.

nope no bitterness as far as I'm concerned and I drove it a little today and it's not frothing the oil up at all i.e. colors not changing.

Cool, I'll probably break for the 180* if I have to.
Then everything is all good :thumbrig:

-
Back