Water leak by kick panels

-

440nika

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I got a problem I can't find!!!!!! I've noticed the last couple times I've washed my 70' Dart that the carpet is just a little damp at the bottom of both the passenger and drivers kick panels. I had this Dart completely tore down to nothing and put back together with all new gaskets and bushings but I'm pretty sure I missed something. The windshield is new as is the gasket to install it. I was told there are drain holes for the cowl and if they are clogged this can happen but I can't find any drain holes anywhere. I also checked the inside firewall and it's completely dry, it's like it's coming from behind the kick panels somehow. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Dave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a leak and it turned out to be the wiper arm gaskets on my 73 duster, How I found it was to get inside the car, and looking under the dash while having a friend run the water over the car. You could also pull the kick panels when running the water and try to locate as I did.

Dave,

Check the wiper pivot seals. After years, they usually harden and shrink and allow water to enter.

To test, try this: hold an open hose where the wipers attach to the body of the car. Don't wet any other area of the car except this area. I'd wager that this is where the water is entering.

As to how to replace them, you got me. Maybe someone else will chime in. The kit is relatively inexpensive...about $15. You could find it on eBay, YearOne, Laysons, and The Paddock to name a few.

Rob

When you had it all apart did you remove the hinges and all the sealer from around the bolts/holes?

Yes, I had the door hindges off but I don't recall any sealer around the bolt holes or hindge. What are you thinking? Thanks for responding Dave

The drain holes are right next to the hood hinges in the engine bay.They direct water to the inside of the fender.If they are clogged water can collect in the cowl.If it gets to high it can go in the vents down by your feet. Next time you wash your car open the vent doors and put in some towels.
Also clean the drain holes out. Wiper pivot seals could be it as well.

I agree that the cowl and vents are likely suspects but the adjustment holes behind the hinges are pretty big. The factory (at least on my '70) injected foaming sealer into the holes around the bolts. Without it there's a pretty good path for water and the holes are directly behind and above the kick panels. You can easily pull the kick panels, run some water over the area, and see whether it's coming in there or not.

Here ya go... these are the cowl drains on the passenger side of a '76 Duster (fender removed):

2470270346_185f2a01ab_o.jpg

Larger leaves and twigs will get hung up here and begin to clog up the works. Use a bent wire or needle nose pliers to pick out the debris. Blowing down through the cowl grill with compressed air will do wonders; however, much of the junk will enter your fresh air inlet and fill up the heater-A/C box (if so equipped).

Here, you can see why:

2470270378_70697ce024_o.jpg

Now, you know why it's important to clean out the cowl routinely,
Jerry

74 Sport~ Good pictures...I recently removed my heater box and it was full of sand about 1 inch... which lead me to look for the very same drain holes in your picture...and yep..it was full of sand, leaves and twigs... cleaned it out the best I could with compressed air and vacuuming.

Aloha, Mike

-
Back