Water leak in 68 Dart Coupe

-

Jason Maitland

Reaction score
Hi all... I have discovered that I have a water leak when driving in medium/heavy rain only that seems to be coming from the top/rear of the glove compartment and dripping onto the passenger side floor - am I right in thinking this is (hopefully) the windshield rubber? The windshield is still the original factory glass, but the rubber may have been swapped out at some stage... It doesn't leak at all if the vehicle is parked up/stationary, in the rain and/or if I wash the car; it has only happened in heavy rain whilst driving. I have already cleaned out the cowl vents and they seem to drain perfectly, so hopefully it isn't that... will have to also double check the wiper arm pivot bushings but wouldn't think my glove compartment cardboard piece would be wet if it was those? any feedback welcome, thanks

My guess would be those pesky wiper pivot seals. Like in the roof of a house-when water leaks it seldom shows up directly below the entry point, rather, it travels along some surface until it catches on something allowing it to pool enough to form drops that then fall, all in a well devised scheme to fool you into looking elsewhere.

Hi all... I have discovered that I have a water leak when driving in medium/heavy rain only that seems to be coming from the top/rear of the glove compartment and dripping onto the passenger side floor - am I right in thinking this is (hopefully) the windshield rubber? The windshield is still the original factory glass, but the rubber may have been swapped out at some stage... It doesn't leak at all if the vehicle is parked up/stationary, in the rain and/or if I wash the car; it has only happened in heavy rain whilst driving. I have already cleaned out the cowl vents and they seem to drain perfectly, so hopefully it isn't that... will have to also double check the wiper arm pivot bushings but wouldn't think my glove compartment cardboard piece would be wet if it was those? any feedback welcome, thanks
I thought my windshield was leaking on my ‘73 Swinger but it turned out to be the wiper pivots. I get a puddle in my drivers floor pan. Watching to see the response on ease of install as I have it down for one of my winter projects this year.

Haha... Are these easy enough to replace? I wonder if I can test them by applying high pressure hose on them?

If it is the wiper pivot seals and they only leak under medium/heavy rain conditions, they should certain leak when sprayed directly with a hose.

Does it leak when you wash the car?

Not horrible if you pull the glove box liner and the instrument panel. Laying on your back doing it it sucks.

Last edited:
Not horrible if you pull the glove box liner and the instrument panel. Laying on your back doing it it sucks
Pull the seats for any under dash work, you will thank me.

You could simulate driving by putting a fan in one of the windows blowing out, seal around it. Keep all the other windows closed and the car vents and heater set as you would if driving.

Then add water to the firewall area starting down low and slowly moving up the body till you find the entrance point.

My bet is the seam on the inside of the cowel as seen from under the dash, I have seen recent images of seam sealer having fallen off from the area.

Photo stolen from OldManMopars'post
Screenshot_20221222-153621.png

Last edited:
What I have found is when they are leaking only when driving it is the air pushing the water to the back of the vent Dam and it is leaking at the dam seal. If you put water down the cowl it flows in front of the dam down the hill and out the drain on the side of the cowl.

When you are driving the air being forced in the cowl blows it to the top of the dam and it leaks onto the glove box or park brake and fuse box. The leak is due to the seam sealer around the dam being dried up. The water is force above the lip on the floor of the cowl that the Dam sits on. You can fix this from inside by pushing pliable/brushable seam sealer into the seam with your finger from inside the car after removing the heater box or Vent box.

Here is a picture of the cowl removed. Second picture You can see the valley in the front where the water flows down . But if air forces it to the top/rear it will leak if seal is bad or rusted. On the second picture you can see a V shape on the lip. That is usually where they drip from. Force seam sealer down in there with your finger all the way around as stated

Picture 025.jpg

Picture 026.jpg

Picture 027.jpg

Picture 028.jpg

Picture 029.jpg

DSCN1263.jpg

DSCN1264.jpg

Also remember that there is a seal between the heater housing and cowl and a seal between blower motor and firewall. There is a seal on the antenna lead where it enters through the kick panel.

-
Back