water leaking into trunk

-

rigger3006

Reaction score
72 demon, water is leaking into trunk through tail light bezels, have new foam gaskets installed and sealed with silicone but still leaks, any thoughts

no, i can see it running down into the taillight slots from outside of and somehow
( installed new trunk weatherstripping last year)

There's a body seam on each end of the tail panel at the rear of the trunk gutter. If the seam sealer is cracked water will leak in via the tail light mount brackets. Mix up some water with food coloring and wet one area at a time until the leak shows up.

When I removed the rear windshield from my '74 Scamp, there were rust holes in frame around the opening. I could see rust trails down and around the trunk perimeter. there was rust on the bottom of the spare tire well that was caused by this running water.
...just something to think about...water can travel almost anywhere as long as it is downhill...

the water color trick sounds good,thanks, im sure i could talk one of the kids to hop in the trunk!!!

If you haven't done it before, start at the bottom. Hose down the tail light area only. If no leak, move up to the lower corner of the trunk lid. Still no water move up to the top of the trunk lid. Then just the lower corner of the rear window, then bottom of rear window, then half way up the side of the window, then upper corner, then the top of the window. Be sure to spend enough time at each location to make a good determination.
If it is, in fact coming from the tail light area I was able to get a good seal there with some thicker and wider foam tape I got at Ace Hardware.
C

-
Back