Water/methanol injection

-

slowdown

Reaction score
So I bought this snow water/methenal kit awhile back, an am just getting around to messing with it.
So what I thought a guy could do when I first bought this kit. Was a guy could go get some washer fluid with the lowest freezing point an get a decent amount of methanol in the jug. But after a little research turns out methanol evaporates from the jugs and from what I read the windshield wiper fluid has maybe 30 % if a guy was lucky.
So methanol is an alcohol like isopropyl with maybe a higher octane rating an not as corrosive to parts as isopropyl. Can a guy mix a little isopropyl in with the windshield fluid to up it closer to a 50/50 mix ?
I'm wondering because I can get as much isopropyl as I want but methanol is a little harder to get.
I couldn't find much on the web about mixing the two, I thought maybe someone here has done this? Or has water/methanol on his/her forced induction car an would like to chime in on there experience with it. Thanks.

You can buy methanol from any dealer of vp gas, they have 5gal drums ypu can get, or just buy the snow mixture think theirs is a red color.

I used to run it in my supercharged car and my turbocharged truck. I was lucky and had a local supplier that sold methanol to me for $3/gallon. I ran a 50/50 mix with distilled water.

Data logging showed about 130 degree drop on intake temps. That was pretty consistent with boost between 10 and 20 psi.

I glanced at the title and thought I saw "water melon injection".

Lol juice if fine, the chucks and seeds would be hell to burn and get rid of lol

So....how effective is it in eliminating detonation at full throttle?

It does a good job at it. Especially if you tune the engine to it, but then you have to be careful not to run out of the mixture. It take 91 octane up to like 110 octane, cooler combustion chamber temps means more power plus the higher octane. I ran straight meth on my srt4 with bigger turbo and made it pull harder then normal. On my first time wiring up the used kit I bought accidently wired it backwards where the meth sprayed all the time instead of at a certain boost lol, my bad, I actually had frost on my cold side pipe going into the engine pre throttle body.

how well does it work ? the pic below tells my story. the damage was due to the WM failing due to electrical fault during a pull on the dyno at wot. damage was done before the tuner could react. was a degree of ring butt in the mix.
started puking smoke out the breathers. hurt like hell to see #8 when i pulled the heads off.
that was blo through. have rebuilt and gone efi. have just started her up first time in 18 months.
water meth does a good job at controlling combustion chamber temps. i was using the AEM 30-3300 kit. will be using on new setup.

P1010687.jpg

Last edited:
+ 1 for Methanol , I too used Methanol @ 100% in my 300ZX TT , I made it out of ebay :) , And excepting final nozzle size (too Large) worked very well . I used a EFI Pump and under car tank , reg, boost pressure switch and LPG solenoids to ensure it positively switched off when not needed , I used Fine misting atomizers from the hydroponics industry , I ran two of them because of the Twin Turbo setup. ( one would have been Great )
Methanol is one of the best intercoolers if not the best you can have.

I have heard of others using the snow kit ,using 50/50 Methylated spirits and water , the Buick Grand National forum is a good source of Knowledge on this subject from memory .

12112009631.jpg

12172009638.jpg

I actually messed with the snow boost controller for a little while but just gave up an installed a full throttle switch instead. Beings how I only want it at full throttle anyway. And it works sweet. I haven't added anymore timing or anything yet but when I start to floor it I can feel the boost come on from the supercharger as normal an when I mash it all the way to the floor I can actually feel it pull harder when it starts to spray. Can't believe I had this laying around an didn't put it on till now!

-
Back