water pump / fan clutch help

-

Colohusker

Reaction score
Went to finish up the engine in the 70 Duster, putting the fan on and I don't have enough clearance. Was wondering if there is a shorter necked water pump than the one I have, or a shorter viscous fan clutch or a thinner radiator. Here are the measurements I have.

The space I have between the timing cover and the radiator is 9.25"
The distance between the water pump mounting surface and the pulley mounting surface is 6"
The distance between the fan clutch mounting surface and the face of the clutch is 3.25"
The radiator is 3" thick at the top cap, but the cooling elements are only 1.5" thick, but mounted flush to the inside of the top cap.

Any help would be appreciated!

Setup is a 1974 318 with a 904 behind it and I'm pretty sure the engine is in the right position since the 904 cross member slipped right into place.

Not sure how much help this may be......When I put the 3 core into my early-A I only had a 1/16 between the rad and fan clutch < too close for comfort> I had a machinist mill an 1/8 off the face of the aluminum pulley and 3/16 off the face of the clutch fins.
How this effects the clutch, not sure, but at least gained some much needed real estate.

-
Back