Water pump gasket

-

7duster4

Reaction score
I made a thread a while back about a coolant leak coming from my water pump bolt on my 318. We removed that one bolt and used tef-lon tape around the threads and sealent. It seemed to work at first. Before we did that it would leak a couple drops every one to two days, while the car was sitting. Over one month and no drips at all until this evening I noticed a couple. I guess it would leak eventually. Probably best to replace the gasket. Anyone have a preferance on a water pump gasket? I assumed a fel-pro but are some better than others? Is RTV the best stuff to use on water pump gaskets?

Any info is appreciated, thanks.

Fel-Pro is good, but you should use plumber's pipe dope on the bolt threads because it seals better.

The water probably is traveling the bolt threads. If everything was clean and dry RTV would seal it. With the coolant present. Telfon tape is a option if it will stay in place going through the water pump. A small edge of the gasket can peel the tape off too. Plumber pipe dope is another option but it works better on tapered pipe threads. If you have compressed air just drain the coolant and blow it all dry and use RTV on those bolt threads. Let it cure 24 hours.

I use RTV on my bolt threads and both sides of the gasket. Then I let it sit over night. No leaks.

The Right Stuff is the right stuff.

Any auto supply house should carry it.

I'll never use a paper gasket again. Awsome product!

-
Back