Water Pump Plate?

-

jar84203

Reaction score
I recently removed the water pump from my 71 225ci slant six and noticed a thin steal plate between that pump and the housing. I assume this is to help water flow direction. When reinstalling, is a gasket supposed to go on both sides of the plate? I checked the service manual, but it does not even mention the plate. Thanks.

it is an autozone water pump you cant remove that plate... it has a gasket between it so just take it back they are a lifetime warranty...

i JUST got back from buying a water pump for the Demon @ Kragen. I'll check the box and see if theres an additional plate and/or 2 gaskets.

Just got one myself, the bearing was iffy, and there is a plate and two gaskets. Curious the service manual doesn't mention it.

Ok here it is... Working from pump to motor:
1. the water pump
2. a pump-to-"plate" gasket
3. a thin (brass?) plate (it and the pump-to-plate gasket are not removable due to the way the impeller is mounted onto the shaft)
4. a plate-to-engine gasket
5. another gasket and im not sure what it goes to. im sure ill figure it out once I get started tho, this is gonna be my 1st slant6 h20 pump swap!

Ok here it is... Working from pump to motor:
1. the water pump
2. a pump-to-"plate" gasket
3. a thin (brass?) plate (it and the pump-to-plate gasket are not removable due to the way the impeller is mounted onto the shaft)
4. a plate-to-engine gasket
5. another gasket and im not sure what it goes to. im sure ill figure it out once I get started tho, this is gonna be my 1st slant6 h20 pump swap!

yea i dont know why they give you an extra gasket lol...

-
Back